Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: 11 Tips for Successful Practice

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/11-tips-for-successful-practice-beginner

This is the first lesson in the course titled: The Theory of Practice! Start with these 11 tips to set yourself up for success!

8 Likes

Sound advice @BanjoBen I wish I had all that info when I started out. Over the years I have been studying banjo I have acquired most of the information you lay out in this first part of the course. As you know I am no longer a beginner but even so I learned a lot from this introduction. I look forward to the next instalment. I would add this bit of advice for experienced students like me. There is much more to learn when you go back and revisit the fundamentals and or a lesson you learned 10 years ago. Not only does it advance your knowledge but also keeps you sharp and helps develop your playing skills.

IMHO This course looks set to be worthy of Five Star Status

push5stars

6 Likes

Thanks so much for these words of wisdom. I can’t wait for the rest of the course.
My long term goal was easy to set: I’m going to a festival next July and want to take my banjo and join in with jam and informal music sessions.
Now working on what I need to do to achieve that goal!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for an awesome lesson! I love practice tip #7: Get more guitars( or anyother instrument you’re practicing).

1 Like

There are some great ideas in this lesson and the intro got me thinking about my goals in a new way! I’m looking forward to the next lesson for practice sessions. I’ve tried several approaches but still sometimes find myself asking myself if I could be accomplishing more towards my long-term objectives with the time I invest. Thanks Ben!

Taking your advice, Ben, from the Practice Tips lesson, I’ve spent some time thinking about my goals and have already modified my practice routine based upon them. Thanks for getting me back on track!

1 Like

Great advice, @Archie

I just watched this lesson…Really great tips! Looking forward to more about The Theory of Practice. I’m a beginner again and again.
Thank you Banjo Ben.

This is great. I can’t wait until the rest of the course is released. I am a beginner and do not have anyone to play with. Would anyone have any advice on online groups to play with.

Thanks,
Keith

1 Like

Great tips Ben, really like the three phases in tip 1. Thank you for thinking about us!

The 10,000 hour theory: Through my engineering career and developing new engineers I have always subscribed to the idea that it takes 10,000 hours to be an expert at something. In a 2,000 hour work year, it takes 5 years to be an expert.

When you do the math on practicing your instrument, it turns into a lot of years. Even if you practiced 2 hours a day it’s about 13 years to the 10,000 hour mark.

If you’re serious about music and learning your instrument, there’s no time to waste. This lesson really made me think about the bigger picture of what it takes to make meaningful progress.

Thanks Ben

1 Like

This, alone, is worth the price of a Gold Pick membership. Looking forward to the continued lessons!

FANTASTIC advice Ben. Thinking of posting them on a wall chart in my practice area.
I would also like to add a possible TIP #12 which works for me as a beginner.
USE MOTIVATORS. I have a variety of these around my practice area that include
banjo posters, stickers, magnets, photos, figurines and numerous other banjo related
items that keep me inspired and motivated. You can also use them as “rewards” for any
accomplishments or goal achievements. Works for me.

Really good tips and can’t wait to watch the next lessons on practicing. Great lesson.

This is such a true lesson for life…any goal we want to achieve in life. Work, play, marriage, school, this is applicable. I have always wondered the best way to set a goal. You are answering this. Thank you.

I have been wondering how to practice for years and years. How does JD Crowe practice, or Earl Scruggs or Tony Rice or you Ben practice? One instrument or 5 instruments? How do you do it? I do believe you are answering that with this course!! Thank you so much!!!

Something I have learned is that I can get a lot of practice time in waiting for my wife. When we are suppose to go somewhere she is usually running late. So instead of stressing and rushing her, I just pick up my banjo and practice. Usually she is the one who has to bug me to stop practicing so we can go. Just something that I found works for me, and I never stress about my wife running late to somewhere we have to be.

3 Likes

Lovin’ this! Can’t wait for the next installment.

Hey Ben, referring to a possible #12 TIP … USE MOTIVATORS, here is one I use prior to each practice session that works each time for me. I have it framed and hanging in my practice area. I found it many eons ago and, unfortunately, I do not know the author. I have modified and personalized it and hope it works for others as it does for me.
MUSICIAN’S PRAYER
Oh Lord please bless my music,
That it may glorify Your Name.
Let using it to serve You,
Always be my aim.

Let it be a witness
                       To Your majesty and love.
               And remind me that You're watching
                  From your heavenly throne above.

Oh Lord I ask Your guidance 
                             In everything I do.
                     And pray You'll make my banjo
                          and instrument for You.
2 Likes

Outstanding tips. Never know what life will throw at us. In December I fell off of porch and destroyed left shoulder. This left me without the use of it for the last 6 months. All this happened right after I had ordered a new Huber banjo. I couldn’t play, fish, garden, etc… New banjo arrived last month but until then I built a wooden stand to cradle the neck of my old one while holding it and practicing with my right hand. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

5 Likes