Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Whiskey Before Breakfast- Flat 3rd Tone Study

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/whiskey-before-breakfast-flat-3rd-tone-study-guitar-intermediate

This is a favorite fiddle tune of many Baptists. The only time they won’t pick it is when other Baptists are around. We spend some time on theory learning how to manipulate the flat 3rd tone which will help us in our improvisation and solo-building!

3 Likes

Hi Ben, beautiful! I’ve gone through the tabs and it reminds me of your lessons “Arkansas Traveller” and “Forked Deer” in some parts, both of which are in D-major as well. So this is a good expansion of repertoire and I’ll work on it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Ben, I think the beauty of this whole lesson is to some how keep yourself from “sliding” or “hammering on”
the Flat 3rd. I make out just fine playing through slowly but when you get up to speed…finger twister indeed!

2 Likes

It’s okay to slide or hammer into those, and I usually do. I didn’t have folks do it here because I wanted to concentrate on one skill at a time.

2 Likes

Hey Ben great lesson now I have a 3rd way to play this great tune, not sure did you do one for the Mandolin already? If not would be a great one as well so I’d then have a 2nd version to wow myself with.
Oh and by the way us Methodist really love this tune as well and is a big hit at any dinner and as you know nothing is more important to us Methodist than our meals other than God.
Many blessings to you & yours and thanks for all the work you put into these lessons

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, if you look at the bottom left of the video screen you see the other instruments I’ve taught this series for:

45 PM

1 Like

Ben, I click on the pdf tab and there’s no music tab. Thank you, Jerry Scribner

2 Likes

Refresh the page and you should be good to go!

I told the music director at my church the full title of this song is “Whiskey Before Breakfast (Is Bad For You)”.
Now we play it at all the deacon meetings! :rofl:

2 Likes