Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Where the Soul of Man Never Dies

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/where-the-soul-of-man-never-dies-guitar

This one has some great crosspicking, and I offer two breaks that will supply you a couple hot licks out of the “C” position.

I’m sure I’m one of many revisiting this lesson after the sad news. Thanks for putting it together, Ben.

1 Like

Great lesson thanks !!! You should really consider a “Church Street Blues”
lesson. Thanks

2 Likes

On December 25, a great musician passed away.
Watching Tony Rice’s videos over the past couple of months has really inspired me. I don’t know anything about his spiritual state but I hope to see him on the other side. John 3:16

3 Likes

Great lesson, Ben - thanks so much. This is my #1 favorite on the Skaggs and Rice album. It’s got everything - great guitar/mandolin; great vocal parts; great message. Like the whole album, it captures the beautiful simplicity and talent of these two great friends and musicians. Thanks for “reminding” us about this lesson on your site. Could we hope for a lesson for Ricky’s mandolin part??

4 Likes

Ben, I believe the entire Skaggs & Rice CD would be an invaluable lesson if you put it together

2 Likes

I have looked far and wide for the chord charts and most of them have the same 3 chord changes. But seriously I hear the 6th minor and the 2 chord. ( For example in the key of C, I would hear the Amin and the D chords). Am I the only one that hears those extra chords??

I think it would sound great, I agree, but that’s not what’s played in the Skaggs/Rice version.

3 Likes

Hadn’t played or listened to this in a while. Man, that is so tasty. I love what you did in the second turnaround. True to Tony’s but just a few wrinkles and then a really nice melodic lick to finish.

4 Likes

Same here; I watched the whole lesson last week first time since the original posting. I’m glad I did, too. I was able to pick up things I wasn’t able to hear or do a few years ago. A very useful lesson.

4 Likes

Is there a banjo tab for this? My goal is to learn as many of those old sacred hymns as I can so I can play them at church.

2 Likes

There doesn’t appear to be a banjo lesson for it. You could ask @BanjoBen if he has TAB

3 Likes

Not yet but that would be cool!

2 Likes

Thanks Ben, for this great lesson. I have enjoyed it immensely (who doesn’t want to play like Tony) oh, and like (Ben), but imho it’s missing the Skaggs mandolin reply.

3 Likes

where is the banjo lesson for these song we need a lesson for it

1 Like

There isn’t one yet!

1 Like

YET! @FrankieGazaway