Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: When the Saints Go Marching In- Guitar

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/when-the-saints-go-marching-in-guitar-guitar-intermediate

This one mirrors the mandolin lesson in all the right ways. Let’s learn some theory while having fun, want to? There are 3 solos that march you right into more guitar knowledge!

6 Likes

Sure, and I’m going to use this as starting point to learn theory from Ben!

Btw, doesn’t Ben look afresh - happy and content - in a recent while?? Or is it just me?

4 Likes

Life has it’s ups and downs for all of us and I think @BanjoBen has had a lot on his mind this past year what with the General Store and the Cabin Camp. Yes I did notice he is displaying a renewed sparkle in this lesson. Long may it continue

4 Likes

That’s because he’s playing a Martin.

4 Likes

Haha, perhaps!

3 Likes

Absolutely! :slight_smile: Good thing I don’t have to show up like Ben every week… Even though it looks Google and Microsoft wants to see me after I had to have this Windows 10 installed a few days ago.

1 Like

On the scale based solo, there seems to times when Ben maintained a quarter note followed by eighth notes and other times when he used all eighth notes. Are there some guidelines?

1 Like

Hi Terry @lwest268 and Welcome to the forum!

Most of those quarter notes Ben is using to emphasise the actual melody notes of the tune.

You can check this by singing along with it.

Dave

3 Likes

Great observation, @lwest268! There are no guidelines! That is up to you, and I believe I talk about how the scale notes are wide open for you to choose from. You can do all quarter notes if you want, or a rapid fire of eighth notes, but ultimately what you choose to do is what makes you sound like you. I look forward to what you discover!

3 Likes

I have learned the melody and am working on the second set it is a hoot I like it and it fits right into my style of playing, I will never master the guitar like Ben but it is fun learning from him and thank you for this lesson it is a good one;. On the melody I used up and down picking and made some 1/16 notes out of 1/8 notes… The second one I do it in a sort of mandolin style. I would love to have a octave mandolin some day if I live long enough. I should have it down in a week or so, that is the first two, the last one could take some time . Hope everyone has a good time learning this one .

2 Likes

Yes I have to do that same thing , I guess I will have to transfer all the stuff from my computer and then format the hard drive and do it.

2 Likes

@WELDER41, you don’t have to delete anything. I got the software for about $40 from reseller AppSute and created a copy in an USB. I took note of the key but did not have to use it. Prior to install, I took a backup of my “personal” files but did not delete anything - neither files nor apps. Then ran the setup from USB for upgrade and it was smooth with no glitch. During install, I chose “no” or “basic” resource access for apps. That’s it.

1 Like