Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Wayfaring Stranger

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/wayfaring-stranger-guitar-advanced

Let’s pick a couple solos in A minor! The first is a Carter-style basic melody presentation, while the second brings in the Tony Rice influence.

1 Like

Its an old post but a few of us seem to into this song at the moment after Rich’s video.

I guess I need to understand the melody note argument and am happy to be proved wrong here. In bar 24 looks like ASus4 being used. You are playing E,A,D When you introduced it I thought yes that is the chord I use when being lazy playing Folk of quick switching between A and D and back.

I think that Bmin7Flat5 is BFAD certainly like the sound of that chord and if just strumming think I would use it there.

I guess I am not sure how you call it Bmin7Flat5 when placing the E in there?

1 Like

This is a great question, and good job spotting it. The chord name above the tab is what the rhythm is playing behind the guitar solo. Many people do not go to that B chord–that’s a substitute chord that I thought sounded good. It creates tension because there is an F note in the chord (that’s the flat 5 part) and the melody note is an E…only a 1/2 step apart. BUT, it quickly resolves in the next measure when the rhythm plays an E chord to “catch up” to the melody note.

3 Likes

Thank You, like a lot of folks I guess I was strumming through to get familiar and formed the Bmin… chord and liked the sound . When I picked through found myself forming ASus4. Thanks again

Certainly like the sound will look at ways of bringing it before an E7 or E Elsewhere!!

1 Like

Hi. I’m a new GP mem and working on this lesson now. This is a very well arranged solo and looking forward to the challenge. Maybe after a 3k tries I’ll nail it!

2 Likes

Ben
This is a great song and lesson.
I like the way you work through the static tab measure by measure.
The sound you create is brilliant.
Thanks

3 Likes

Anybody know where RIch’s video is? Id like to watch it again.

Not sure exactly what your looking for but I found this:

2 Likes

I believe Rich is or was a gold pick member.

1 Like

Here you go, Jack…
My First Video - Video Swap - Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one! Thanks John.

1 Like