Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Up the Neck with Red Haired Boy

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/up-the-neck-with-red-haired-boy-guitar-advanced

Let’s move beyond the first few frets, learn the neck, and have fun at the same time! These exercises, scales, and song challenge will help you unlock higher positions that will immediately affect your soloing & understanding!

4 Likes

Very cool. I needed this and didn’t know it.

I can’t help wanting to do your old arrangement slide lick on the B and E string to end the B part. That lick forever belongs there in my mind and RHB is not right without it.

3 Likes

I love playing in different positions, I’m just not extremely good at it. I will put this one in my practice session.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

FYI - the lesson is labeled “Advanced” but appears on the Intermediate checklist.

Great Lesson Ben! Just what I needed!

Thank You!

Another great lesson! Ben what is the Martin model you play is so many of these videos? Sounds great. Thanks! Herb

1 Like

Thanks! I went ahead and added to advanced checklist and removed from int.

1 Like

Thanks! That is a ~2009 D-18 1937 Authentic series by Martin. Here’s a similar one though my does not have the herringbone binding:
https://www.elderly.com/products/martin-custom-d-28-authentic-1937-guitar-case-aged-ambertone

1 Like

Usually, you include the tab on the screen during the slow play through, don’t you? Did you mean to leave it off this time to make us memorize?

Great lesson! Thank you.

3 Likes

I love the floating lick. It allows the guitar to sound soooo much better. A) I didn’t know what that was called. B) It is something I have stumbled into in the past, but now I will be looking for it with renewed enthusiasm.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean to, but maybe that’s a good idea :joy: I’ll get it on there for you.

1 Like

Ok, got it fixed @vwalsh. For some reason that tab was turned off when the vid exported, so easy fix.

1 Like

Really enjoying this lesson.

3 Likes

Hey Ben, You are a Super Genius!!

I think the whole flatpicking world was waiting for this lesson! I hope you’ll do more like this in the future, maybe even a series you can call “Pushin’ it up the Neck” and do a whole bunch of songs this way! Great Job!

3 Likes

Ben, this is a great lesson. Any chance more challenging lessons like this for other fiddle tunes are on the radar?

2 Likes

Sure, if y’all ask and request then it will pull me that way.

That’s the hope :slight_smile: Thank you for your constant encouragement.

GREAT Lesson! Need this for sure…

2 Likes

so cool - but struggled with this one until I spent good bit of time with the scales. Thanks

2 Likes