Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: The Wreck of the Old 97- Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/the-wreck-of-the-old-97-build-a-break-guitar-beginner

We have 3 solos for this tune in G that progressively get more complex. We’ll start with the basic melody, then add strums, then add hammers and pull-offs to beef it up! It really serves as a pick hand exercise more than anything, but it’s FUN to do!

Hey Salty Dogs, beginner here, and I’m having a lot of trouble with the timing of the strum in measure 21 and its twin in 29, in that middle section of the lesson where we first add strums. Its placement there feels . . . weird. Like it doesn’t smoothly connect the end of the one phrase in C and the beginning of the next in G.

This a common sort of sticky spot for a beginner, is there some special musical jargon to go along with the weirdness I’m feeling there, or is this just another of those personal bumps in the road I’ll encounter, dependent on my own set of unique deficiencies that I bring to the table?

I’m going to try very slowly clapping (well, whapping my leg) while playing the melody in my head, to see exactly where I might place that strum to make it “click”.

Any other suggestions, comments, and encouragements appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:

See if this helps, @thehappyhalls

1 Like

Wow, that was awesome - thanks, “Lefty”! You’d probably grin if you knew the many different ways I’d been trying to count this (whapping my leg, with my fingers like you did on the video, nodding my head, tapping my foot) so I could not just see where and how it fits, but make it feel right.

BTW, feeling pretty special (delighted, really) to get such a prompt, personalized, and masterful response :wink: Now I’m fixing to worry this thing like a rat terrier, 'til I get it, Boss!

Many thanks, and have a great weekend!

2 Likes

For sure, you’re welcome! Make sure you’re taking advantage of the .tef tab files which would help greatly here:

1 Like

Huh. Are the .tef tabs different than the .pdf? Because y’all have made a believer out of me on utilizing the tabs - but I think I always open them as pdf’s. No particular reason, just that I’m sort of familiar with pdf’s, and am immediately suspicious of anything on the computer I’m not familiar with - it’s an old guy thing :smile:. Also, I think part of the reason I was getting stuck on that particular section and kept taking a wrong turn in my head, is because my ear and my hands kept wanting to stick an open G note in between the strum and the next/last note of the measure (the “2” on that D line - sorry, I don’t really know the names of notes unless they’re the open string).

OMG! “Are the .tef tabs different than the .pdf?” Well, DUH! Just clicked on that link you supplied about tef tab files - Holy Guacamole, Momma! That’s amazing (and a little overwhelming). Boy, there was a door to a hidden treasure room, for sure. But okay, some more technology I need to learn. Thanks for making it relatively painless, and thanks for the spoon feeding - some of us need it. :smile::wink::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The tef is just like a pdf but with additional moving needle, like for in Radio tuning, to automatically play out the full/part song for the speed you choose. :wink: It’s dynamic.