Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: The Bluegrass G Chord

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/the-bluegrass-g-chord-guitar-beginner

They say the Colt Peacemaker ended the era of hostility in the Wild West. That’s not true–it was the bluegrass G chord.

That’s the G-Grass Powerchord

1 Like

Well, dang. I’ve been using a different G than any of the ones you just showed, and I reckon you can guess which one: ring finger on the E, middle on the A, and pinky on the high E, with the index hanging out, ready to catch the G7. Doesn’t sound as full as your 4 fingered bluegrass G, but I sure seem to get around okay with it. Big disadvantage later? Any of the Big Dog flat pickers use that kind of G?

3 Likes

I use pretty much every G voicing out there, and this is the one I learned first. They’re all good for different contexts, so I say learn them all!

Hey Dragonslayer, thanks for the reply! When you say “this is the one I learned first”, do you mean the Bluegrass G or the one I described that I use? Thx!

1 Like

The one you described. Although I might have fingered it differently I don’t remember. It’s a great shape for easily switching to a C chord

@thehappyhalls - I learned the G chord the way you described. I still use that position most when I have to go to a G7. It is easy on my old hands. 8 months ago, I started learning the G chord as Ben teaches for all the reasons he mentions. I second @Dragonslayer, learn to use them all.

1 Like

I use your position when I know that I want that high-voiced G7. The main reason why I don’t use it more often is the open B string that screams MAJOR G whenever you play it, and so much of grass is bluesy. Use 'em all :wink:

1 Like

The G chord you called the three finger at the end is one I sometimes use while finger picking so I’ve always called it just that, fingerpicking G!

1 Like

Oh man… strumming with a closed hand!
It’s like re learning the guitar again
dang

1 Like

the AC/DC G chord

1 Like

Did the No finger G get mentioned ? Open strings 2,3,4 can buy you some time when changing chords or hammering onto an A . Sounds major with the B but can be shut down quick with the A Chord.

2 Likes