Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Temperance Reel

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/temperance-reel-guitar

This is an old fiddle tune in the key of G that is lots of fun to play! This is a very basic version of the tune and a great one for anyone to tackle!

I really like this tune - it feels like what I should be learning as a beginner flatpicker. Picking up on your mandolin email from this week, however, what is the mental secret of a “barrage of eighth notes”? Or is it just plain physical practice? I feel like there is a door to be opened and, once I do, any tune on any instrument will be instantly accessible. Perhaps this is a music theory question. I, too, play the piano and read sheet music.

Is the second note of measure 16 supposed to be played on the “a” string like the tab says? Or is it supposed to be on the e string?

1 Like

first, the second string on guitar is the B string.

for your question: in the video Ben plays the open first string on the second note in both measures 12 and 16…but the TAB indicates using the second string open.

Going with the usual melody of the tune I’m gonna say go with the video and use the open E for that note.

1 Like

I am a beginner at guitar and flat picking.

The highest pitch open E is on the first string, nearest your feet, as you hold the guitar. The second string open. is a B note and is played open as the second note of measure 12 and 16 intended to be a variation to spice up the A part of this fiddle tune the second time through.

I’ve had to flip the tab upside down in my mind to apply it to the fretboard but it’s starting to make sense.
Don’t flip the pick directional arrows under the tab, though. A down arrow under the note is an actual down stroke toward your toes.
Hope this helps you.

The A string (5th string) doesn’t get much use on this tune.

Good luck.

Good catch! I have the open 2nd string in the tab, but played the 1st string in the performance. Welp, this will make my wife happy…she always says I’m not perfect, hahaha!

3 Likes

Um, so which is it? Ladies’ choice? I had the same question . . .

1 Like

Question: I’m finding it a lot easier on measures 11 and 15 to shift back to first position earlier, at that 5th note (don’t know the name of the note - it says 2, on the G string) instead of the 7th, to catch it with the my middle finger there, rather than my index. That an okay thing?

Sure!

I’ve worked out playing Temperance Reel (and earlier I worked out Joy to the World) to the point where I can play along with the slow version with no problem. So my next step is to play with the background track. I cannot figure it out. How do I know if I’m playing at the right place and am I matching up with it right?

LIsten to Ben’s example of playing along with it…

2 Likes

Is actually fairly common for tab to be slightly different from the way the person is performing it. So either way works. Lot of players feel a song differently each time they play it, so you may never get the same thing twice from a player.

The TEF file has the 8th notes played in a swing or shuffle feel. How do I change that so the 8th notes are straight?!?

Click the little speaker button on the top menu and change pickin’ syncopation to zero:

2 Likes

Got it! Thanks for that - that was very annoying…

Ben - Is this song traditionally played in a swing style as you do in the example track? I didn’t hear any mention of this in any of your videos - forgive me if I missed that.

I hear it all kinds of ways, I reckon. I typically like to play it at this speed but there are always those who want to play faster.