Discuss the Guitar lesson: Sweet By-and-By- Fingerstyle

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/sweet-by-and-by-fingerstyle-guitar

If you know me, you know old-time hymns are my favorite tunes, and this one is no different! This arrangement is in the key of C and it’s a GREAT one to learn how to play fingerstyle guitar. It’s not too hard, but still tasty and fun to hear.

Love it! Hey, about a month ago, my daughter and I played the fingerstyle Banjo Ben version of “Just a Closer Walk With Thee” to rousing applause at our Church. Kind of shocked us to be honest, but maybe a tribute to the quality of B.B.'s arrangements. This lesson hymn would be PERFECT to add on to “Just a Closer Walk” to make a medley of the two songs; both in the key of C.

In my mind, one of the big takeaways on this lesson, is learning the bi-modal roots of Fingerstyle; That being the bass-part with its basic and walking parts, and the melody part. To test Banjo Ben’s methodology, I grabbed a scrap blank tab and created an arrangement of “I Saw The Light” in three easy steps: 1) Add measures with the Chord symbol above the measure for reference 2) Add the Bass notes with walking transitions as needed to each measure. 3) then add the melody notes above the bass notes and syncopate them to taste. Sounds Great! With this, I feel fairly confident I can write my own basic tab to most melodies. What can I say now about writing Fingerstyle tab but, “Praise the Lord, I Saw the Light” ! :slightly_smiling_face:

@Deere_Crossing, that is good to know. Never looked at it like that. And yes that is how it sounds. Bass part with notes alternating between root and 5th with walking part included as necessary when switching between chords. And the melody part with fill-ins and improvisations as necessary. All to fall within a chord shape as far as possible. And together a beautiful sounding song! I mean if I got it right. To me, it is always good when someone experienced provided the music. Btw, the first music I learnt after joining this forum is the flat pick version(s) of this song. I did not know this finger-style version existed until this your post that pulled this thread up. This is now on my to-learn list.

Y’all have me figured out! Haha! Let’s hear that “I Saw the Light” arrangement! I’m a proud, proud teacher :wink:

Sure, you are a great music trainer/teacher, Ben!
Luke 6:40 The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master. :slight_smile:

Love this tune @BanjoBen am I right in thinking this is Travis Picking Style? I’d like to try an improvised banjo backup to play along with this. Is there a roll pattern that would neatly fit this without overwhelming the guitar solo.

It would be really tough to roll on the banjo and not interfere with what’s going on. I wouldn’t do it if I was playing with this guitar. Instead, I’d do some basic and syncopated vamps with some walks thrown in.

Thanks @BanjoBen I thought that might be the case. I’ll give your suggestion a try and see how I get on…