Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Silent Night- Crosspicking

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/silent-night-crosspicking-guitar-intermediate

Two crosspicking solos in two different keys…sounds like an escape room clue, doesn’t it? Well it’s not. It’s Silent Night and it’s BEAUTIFUL!

5 Likes

The strings were “dead” but I thought it still fit the mood of the song, so I went with it. I love that ol’ D-28. Well, it’s not that old. It was made in 2009 to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the first D-28 built in 1934.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Ben, your arrangement/playing is absolutely beautiful, I love it. Is the tef missing the swing?? I think I have to use your video lessons fully for this practice!

@JohnM I haven’t listened to the tef yet, but you can add swing in the tef player if desired.

2 Likes

Nice arrangements Ben!

3 Likes

Got it fixed, thanks! You can click the little speaker icon and change the picking syncopation from 0 to 1 if you ever want to add swing.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks @BanjoBen, @Mike_R!

Well, wasn’t sure which Christmas song I was going to work on this year…now I know. Got a cold Ben?

1 Like

Ben, this is a bit off topic, but can you do a lesson on EQ and compression?

1 Like

Great! I love playing this song, may be my favorite Christmas melody! Nope, no cold, just constant allergies I deal with.

This is really nice. I have just finished learning it, but still can’t play it fluently. I was wondering, if you would be able to make an intermediate or advanced flatpicking arrangement for The Lilly of the Valley some time in the future. It’s a fantastic hymn and really bouncy! I’ve tried to find one, but there just aren’t any.
Thank you!
Dan

2 Likes

That’s a great idea, putting it on the list!

2 Likes

Thank you!

So, I just started practicing this, and I noticed there is a transparent background for the tab, rather than the white background. (First new lesson I’ve opened in quite some time).

This may be my old eyes, but I have a much easier time following the tab when there is a white background.

No biggie. Just providing some feedback.

Thank you for the feedback! I’d be curious if it’s just this lesson or if others, too. Try this out: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/ellies-hornpipe-mandolin-intermediate/video/melody-a-part

I just checked it out, and for me it’s a bit distracting to see movement in the background when trying to focus on the tab. My vision is not the greatest, so it may be perfectly fine for everyone else.

I can always print the tab and follow along with that if need be.

1 Like

It’s a beautiful song arranged simply; perfect! Merry Christmas!

1 Like

I love this simple arrangement! Thank you so much. Can’t wait to play it in church.

1 Like

If there ever was a perfect comment on the forum :slight_smile:

1 Like