Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Quarter Note Triplet Study- Guitar

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/quarter-note-triplet-study-guitar-guitar-intermediate

Quarter note triplets are a great way to infuse some spice into our playing without upping the difficultly level! Let’s learn what they are, how to play them, then put them into practice!

4 Likes

This is great. Just what is needed to continue building a fluent, musical playing style. Thanks, Ben, once again. -d.

1 Like

That______G_____Lick_____sounds_____different_____than_____I______expect.

3 Likes

Thanks for another great guitar lesson! I remember the mandolin lesson and I was thinking about trying it on guitar, but never did.

IF we have this sequence of quarter-notes (Q = quarter-note)

Q1 - - - Q2 - - - Q3

Would inserting a triplet between Q1 and Q2 be exactly equivalent to

E1 - E2 -Q2 - - - Q3 (where ‘E’ = eight note)

…and E1 falls where Q1 was, and Q1 becomes instead E1 (because it’s followed in timing by another eighth note)?

OK, I’ve now looked at the next section of the lesson, and it seems what you’re instead doing is taking the four equally spaced quarter notes Q - - - Q - - -Q - - -Q - - - within a measure and converting them to six equally spaced notes T-T-T-T-T-T within a measure, instead of subdividing the measure into: E-E-Q - - -E-E-Q - - -

…is this correct?

1 Like

maybe this will help…

1 Like

Yes, that’s right.

Yes, it’s fitting 3 where 2 would normally go.

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words and I tend to think a video worth 1000 times 1000 words. But I believe Ben’s just a few simple words conveyed it better than picture and video??!!

Do not mean to discount the video, fiddlewood. I learnt a thing or two too! I knew what it is except the quarter note and eighth note triplet terminology, I’m now clear on that! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Backup subtleties like adding these triplets makes one sound like a Pro. Thanks for this!

1 Like

Can a “Triplett” learn a “Triplet”? I recon I can Try with Ben`s help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If the answer to my question is on this page already, man, I’ve missed it. Love the “quarter note” triplet lesson. After a few days of practice, I got it. Then I began to think . . . shouldn’t these be called half note triplets, wherein three notes, or sounds, are contained within a half note of time? Looking at the tab for it, that’s what I’m seeing . . . six sounds within a measure that would contain four quarter notes. That’s three sounds for each half note. In my old brain, a quarter note triplet would be three sounds within two eighth notes time, or 12 sounds [not 6] within a measure.

You would be correct, except a triplet is putting three notes into the space of two, not the space of one

2 Likes

Check out @Dragonslayer’s answer. Half note triplets would contain 3 notes in one 4 beat measure.