Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Plectrology– The Study of Flatpicks!

Anyway guys, aren’t flatpicks great? Boy, I could talk about flatpicks right now! Bluechips! Wegens! The possibilities are endless!

3 Likes

BlueChips already get lots of love (and rightfully so), but good call on Wegens! They were my goto not-too-expensive picks for a while. They do wear a bit more than some options. Bluechips never wear. RedBear picks have awesome tone, but the grip isn’t quite as tacky as some. Tortoise shell do sound great, but they wear very fast… and you have to kill a critter to get the pick out of it. All said, in my experience, the BlueChips are best overall experience. But there are great options at a tiny fraction of the price. What I have parked in various instruments right now are BlueChips and Ultex. I haven’t tried ToneSlabs yet… need to rectify that.

1 Like

I’ve never tried Wegen but I do think they look pretty cool. It looks like they would have a much less “glossy” feel than BlueChip, correct me if I’m wrong. I may have to pick one up sometime.

The grip on the cross drilled ones are great. They are a bit softer than bluechips or primetones, so the tone is a bit softer as well, but it is a pleasing tone and a good feeling pick.

1 Like