Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Plectrology– The Study of Flatpicks!

And it works quite well too!

4 Likes

Thanks for recommending someone to craft a tortoiseshell pick. I’ve emailed Jonah H, to see about a mando pick. You folks are in my oft prayers, for you’re music store and teaching site; and the Purple Hulls to grow huge this coming year.
Matthew K

2 Likes

Got a question about picks and tone. First off I want to say how thankful I am of the service you provide with these lessons. I got burnt out on guitar about 10 years ago and am just now picking it back up again. It goes without saying, it’s not like riding a bike. I’m rusty as an old nail and everything from theory to guitar lessons has helped me greatly as well as teaching me how to practice. I wish I had known those principles years ago. Anyways, Thank you. My question is on picks and tone. I know thickness matters but I cant really hear the difference on the different materials used and I don’t know if it’s because of my speakers on my computer or its just a minute difference. Does it really make a difference when you hear it in person? Help me out! I need to justify buying a bunch of high dollar picks to try out to my wife :smile:

2 Likes

Howdy Jason!
Yes, the materials do make a noticeable difference in person to my ear (and most players I talk to). There is also a slight difference in grip and feel. I think a more drastic difference comes from tip shape. Before I bought a bunch of expensive picks to see what I like, I’d first explore the different shapes and textures a bit. I use the Ultex (both primetone and original) and they are inexpensive but sound and feel good enough that I don’t regret playing with them as opposed to my more expensive picks. Start with the inexpensive ones and give it some time before purchasing a bunch of $50 picks. You might find a favorite shape/texture/bevel and then when you do buy a high dollar one, you will know what suits you better.

Welcome back to playing, your guitar missed you!

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

The material as well as the thickness really does make a difference in tone, sound, power, speed, and grip. Most people who say expensive picks don’t make a difference haven’t really tried one.

3 Likes

Here you go, @campingjay

Below are the one’s I’m considering…

1. This has great review in Ben’s site, and maybe made exclusive for Ben’s!

https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/dunlop-primetone-triangular-ultex-pick?variant=31293691789359&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpdmOr5vggwMV5kpHAR0RngttEAQYGCABEgJMnPD_BwE#shopify-product-reviews

You can review dunlop products in their site. The below one look promising as it is between small triangle and triangle, shapewise.

1. https://www.jimdunlop.com/akira-takasaki-custom-primetone-pick/

OR

1. Primetone Smooth Pick Triangle 1.5 - 3pk

I have not tried the above Triangle shapes yet but the reviews are great so worth consider buying before you settle on a Blue Chip. I lost my blue chip unfortunately. So, I bought Dunlop Primetone not knowing the small triangle size (as many said it is close to blue chip) but I’m not very comfortable with the shape-size.

I think @Michael_Mark could advise you on size shape etc. on blue chips!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Jason!!

Yes, going from one thickness/shape/material can make a world of a difference in person. It may be “felt” more than heard sometimes, but it can often be heard quite well too. Ben sells Primetones in two sizes and two materials (the smooth kind sound and feel much better to me) and they are great if you want to try a great bluegrass pick for very little cost.

Re BlueChip: I always like to buy one with one rounded corner (1R). You essentially get two picks in one and you can learn whether or not you like the rounded point. TADs are the biggest (same as the large Primetone), TPs are in the middle and STPs are the smallest.

I’ve heard ToneSlabs are phenomenal but have never played with one. Their price did just drop to the same as BlueChip!

And we already have one convert on the forum!

3 Likes

We have some - we agree that tonally they’re very comparable to BlueChip, but they don’t have that perfect grip feel.

2 Likes

A friendly reminder that in my opinion, BlueChip’s grip can be restored with simple water and soap.

4 Likes

I love ToneSlabs. When did their price drop!? I’ve gone back and forth between using ToneSlabs and BlueChips for the past couple months. I don’t have a problem with the feel/grip of them cause I’ve gotten used to it. They do wear down a little faster than BlueChips, but ToneSlab gives you a little sanding block to resmooth it again. Haven’t had any issues with them.

1 Like

I should clarify they just get a little rough, not wear down, at least not yet! So smoothing it out fixes it all up

Within the past month I’m pretty sure.

How do the sizes/shape compare to Bluechip? Do they come in about the same size as a TP? My guess is that the biggest triangle would be about the same as a TAD…

1 Like

Yes, they are just about the exact same sizes as a BlueChip. They make the same size as the TP because that’s what I have, but not sure which one it is from the website. They’ll have them at SPBGMA I’m sure and they usually have it so you can try them all out like BlueChip does.

2 Likes

:man_shrugging::see_no_evil::rofl:

2 Likes

Ah, he says he would like to share a quick word of testimony! Yes, brother!

2 Likes

I wasn’t even that set on it, actually I’m pretty sure I knew that I didn’t know what I was talking about. I had just recently gotten my first smartphone and I was completely new to interacting with people online and I think I just thought it was fun to stir the pot and be difficult. Don’t ask me why, I have no idea. It doesn’t strike me as fun at all anymore. Kinda like how I was saying I was on the flat earth/no gravity side even though I had put ZERO research into it :rofl:

2 Likes

Now wait a minute. The more research you put into it, the more you’ll be on that side.

2 Likes

I still haven’t put any research into it and I probably won’t. I’m too busy researching how to make money and play banjo like Noam Pikelny :man_shrugging::joy:

3 Likes

One thing at a time.

1 Like