Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Pick & Hand Fundamentals

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pick-hand-fundamentals-guitar-beginner

This is an oldie but a goodie! We’ll discuss what type of flatpick to use and basic pick hand fundamentals to help with accuracy and speed!

2 Likes

This was super helpful! I’ve been playing self-taught guitar for more years than I want to admit! Now my grandson is wanting to learn and I don’t want to teach him wrong so this lesson on holding the pick has made an instant difference. Thank you Banjo Ben!!!

3 Likes

So my question is…do you flatpick in a hammer motion or a screwdriver twisting motion of the hand?

Both! It has to have a hammer movement to strike the string, but the screwdriver dimension to clear the strings when switching between them. Whether you anchor or not is up to you. Here is something worth your time, a short documentary of a good friend of mine, Carl Miner. Skip to the 7:00 mark to see what I’m talking about, but the whole thing is good: https://youtu.be/kMGwH5As72g

2 Likes

Ben…WOW what a great video…thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I have been playing guitar for years and never held my hand closed and remained anchored most of the time. I totally get it! I’m definitely changing that habit. straight away… .

Just make sure to keep your hand free of tension! Don’t “make” a fist.

1 Like

Ben,

Yeah, I’m not clinching. If anything, I’m fighting my fingers from opening up for the anchor.
I never realized how rigid my wrist was until I broke off the anchor!
I’m noticing my strumming is a struggle right now because that anchor (and palm mute) gave me a point of reference for distance in relation to the strings. This floating around is going to take some time.

I always held my pick pretty short. (mainly for pinch harmonics)
For bluegrass, do I need to let more pick out so that none of my hand flesh or fingernails touch the strings? If so, that will be another hurdle because w/ more pick out, I’m digging into the strings too much.

Sorry for the long post. I guess as an experienced (yet average) rock guitarist, I’m wanting to correct these old habits early on in my flatpicking studies.

Thanks,

Brooks

Hey Brooks,

You might try using a smaller pick. It will give you the feel of how you used to hold your pick (short for pinch harmonics on electric guitar I’m assuming), but still allowing enough of the pick to protrude for flatpicking and strumming. It doesn’t sound like it would make sense… You’d think you would use a larger pick (and maybe that would work for you), but expiriment with some different picks and see what’s comfortable.

I use an STP-50 Blue Chip Triangle pick. The three sides are smaller than a quarter, but slightly larger than a nickel.

Also, never ever ever never use a Blue Chip for electric pick scrapes!!!

Ha! I watched this whole video. Carl has a pinky anchor pretty much most of the time.
Even Doc was anchored. I don’t think I saw anyone using a palm mute.
Maybe anchor isn’t the right word. Carl has a pinky reference?
I guess it’s about getting comfortable and picking clean… I dunno

thanks for responding and the suggestion on using a smaller pick.
I have a blue chip TD 50 that so far, I’m not liking the tone of too much.
The golden gate ones I got from Ben’s store recently sound better to me.
My standard pick for years has been the Fender Heavy… I love em’

I get pinch harmonics on my acoustic too! Billy Gibbons taught me to squank on anything! lol

I’ll get er’ figured out one way or another!

You’re welcome and I hope I’m helping somewhat!

Does your TD 50 have speed bevels? If so, that’s your tone problem. Sell that thing on Mandolin Cafe or even here on the forum and get one with the straight or what they call “round” bevel. Don’t mistake the Round Bevel with a Rounded Corner (tip). Just get the standard tip without the speed bevels. I promise you will like it better… if not I’ll buy it from you! And the TD’s are huge, I would at least drop down to the TP.

95% of players will disagree with everything I just said… Everybody likes the speed bevels! For those that do, I’m glad it works for you (we all play differently). I’ve had 3 or 4 and I think they sound awful… must be the way I play or my angle. Sounds like you may have the same approach as I do.

I’ve never tried a Golden Gate. Isn’t that more of a mandolin pick with very rounded tips?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

If the back of my middle and ring fingers are brushing the strings, does that mean my hand is too tight, not curved enough or I have the wrong angle?

1 Like

Great question, and some of my favorite rhythm players actually brush the strings with their fingers as part of their strum, I find I do at times too. Please check out this lesson: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/guitar-rhythm-with-tony-wray-guitar-advanced

1 Like

That video lesson with Tony Wray was fantastic. Among other things, it showed me how relaxed my hand should be. Thanks!

2 Likes

BanjoBen
Do you remember posting this topic, long time ago !
This is a great video and explanation.
I used to use a chubbier pick when I was thinner but then changed to
a thiner one when I got chubby ! My Thumb pick is chubbier than the thin pick, which got me thinking, so I went out and purchased a chubbier pick.
:smile:

2 Likes

Hi Ben,

I recently joined so I am just going through some beginner videos.

I have a question for you. I am coming from a rhythm/strumming background and although I plan to learn and develop flatpicking skills (through your site), I am mostly a strummer right now.

My question is … in the middle of this video you talk about the change you made to the way you hold your pick based on a fellow professional musicians advices. I hold my pick currently the way you mentioned you used to. I have tried the way you mentioned holding the pick, but it feels really foreign to me and it seems I then attack the strings too hard and the pick slips in my grip, etc.

Do I need to just kind of force myself to stick with this pick grip change and then it will eventually work well for strumming and flatpicking?

Thanks

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @kevin.m.gonyo!

It’s going to take a while, I wouldn’t even say I have completely transitioned to the best practice Ben suggests, but I’m on my way, and it is worth it. That style/grip is required for pick accuracy and speed improvement. Also for not to lose grip which I would otherwise.

1 Like

I’m at the point now where MOST of the time I encourage people to pursue what is most comfortable, but I can’t tell you to do that without seeing you play. There may be a serious form error that you’re not recognizing…would be great if you could shoot me a quick video. Thanks!

1 Like