Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Pick Accuracy Exercise

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pick-accuracy-exercise-guitar

Do you need help hitting the right strings on your guitar, especially when playing rhythm? It’s a problem EVERY guitar player faces, and the only way to get better is to isolate the problem and work on it. This is an exercise I invented when I was learning to play rhythm, and it does an incredible job helping you become a more clean and accurate guitar player!

3 Likes

hey @BanjoBen or anyone else that is willing or able to help. i am loving this pick exercise I am just have trouble hitting one of the notes it comes at the the 10th,26th,and the 42nd measure when the thumb has to come over the top of the neck and hit the 2nd fret on the low E string. i can hit is some of the time but most of the time I am not able to get a solid note from the hit. s there a different way to play that or would that just hurt me in the long run

thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @Colton.

The fact that you can hit it sometimes tells me it will just take some time and practice to hit it more regularly.

Although it is possible to use your first finger on the 6th string and make the D chord with your 2nd, 3rd & 4th fingers, it is very uncoordinated feeling and isn’t near as easy to play that position, Also, it doesn’t leave you the freedom for many other moves you might regularly make with the D chord.

I suggest you keep working at what Ben has laid out and I believe it will become much easier with time as most all things do.

Best of luck

Dave

5 Likes

thanks for the kind words!

4 Likes

@Fiddle_wood had the perfect advice!

1 Like

I’m still in the ‘advanced beginner’ stage, but this looks like a great exercise for the type of songs taught here.

I’m fairly comfortable with open chord rhythm work, but really want to up my flatpicking game before the St. Pete Cabin (Cabana?) Camp…….

2 Likes