Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: O Holy Night- Fingerstyle Guitar

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/o-holy-night-fingerstyle-guitar-guitar-intermediate

Merry Christmas! I don’t think there’s a melody out there that beats this one, wow! I built it to be approachable and playable for a wide range of skill levels. I hope you enjoy learning it!

5 Likes

Yay!!! I think that will work well with arpeggios on mando to accompany.

What guitar is that? That doesn’t look like a typical Martin sunburst, but I really like it! I think they did some like that recently (I think called a 1935 style) as well as some back in the 70’s

3 Likes

:wink: This is a bad to the bone D-18. A Martin D-18 1937 Authentic Series Shaded Top…they’re rare. I think it’s probably 10 years old. It came in the shop on consignment and Jake told me it was the best Martin he’d played in a long time, so I bought it myself without even playing it first. He was right!

4 Likes

@BanjoBen this is awesome! I absolutely love Christmas music and this is one of my favorite tunes. I was sitting in my garage tonight just picking the melody and when I pulled up the site there it was! To top it off we’re performing Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s version of Oh Come all he Faithfully/Oh Holy Night at church on Sunday, so I’ve been practicing the song a lot. This will be my first time performing on electric guitar since I was a teenager. I’ll be sure to post the video on the forum. I’m playing the second guitar part, and my goal is to play the lead part next year. Thanks again for the arraingment!
I finished The First Noel fingerstyle and I’m eager to jump into this one.

3 Likes

Sweet!!! Yeah, I love the D18As. Not too many shadetops made of those. Gorgeous! You like the big neck alright?

3 Likes

I do, it’s great for clumsy people.

4 Likes

Ben you are an outstanding musician. I can only say that you are a genius of world music. Thank you so much for giving us your talent.:clap::clap:

2 Likes

Beautiful arrangement. I hit the download button while I’m on my iPad and it said it was done but I can’t find it. Any ideas where to look. Thanks

2 Likes

Should end up in a “download” folder…

2 Likes

Turn off the internet and open your browser and you should find it there

1 Like

Okay, if I made a list and checked it twice, this carol would be right there at the top. A very well arranged fingerpickeng good lesson. Your music learnin shows itself once again. Last year you had a intermediate version of Silent Night. That " push your pointer finger over" in the first posistion g chord really made good melody sense but I just could not get the move! I stand six four and push two hundred and fifty so my fingers aint quite sissy’s!I lowered the action and tuning, capoed up a few frets and the Larrivee just wouldnt budge on that great lick. I just put some Elixer’s on the Taylor and the action was great on this OHN first times through. Going back and try the Silent Night move; Merry Christmas to the Clark Clan! Been following your twin sisters and theyre showing the world how its done right in America…

3 Likes

Sounds like we’re twins!

2 Likes

He is so good; folks at least have time to consider Him during His birthday celebrations…

5 Likes

What strings do you use on that martin?

2 Likes

I think these are the EJ17 mediums :wink:

4 Likes