Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Jesus Paid It All on Guitar

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/jesus-paid-it-all-on-guitar-guitar-intermediate

Awww, what a melody! And what a truth! We’ll introduce hybrid pickin’ in this lesson and talk backup technique when playing duets!

4 Likes

I love all the hymns you have been doing! Keep it up:wink:

5 Likes

I started playing this off the TEF without the hybrid picking when the mando lesson came out… I guess I should have waited :open_mouth: (or paid attention to how you were playing it). I’ll give it a try, but I might end up splitting the difference and working on it with a thumb pick. I never have gotten comfy with one, so that would be worthwhile for me.

Great song. Great looking lesson!

5 Likes

Yes beautiful melody!

2 Likes

This is very nicely done. Did noticed the MP3s were all the same with both instruments.

3 Likes

Yep because it’s a duet.

2 Likes

Whoops, sorry. I meant the labeling. One says Mandolin and one says Guitar so assumed that only meant the one instrument would be on that track. New to the site so just learning the instruments and how you break it down. Thanks.

3 Likes

Yep, usually I have jam tracks at different speeds but since this is a duet the mp3’s are a bit different.

2 Likes

Hey @Ben: Isn’t the chord in measure 32 on the third beat an inversion of D7, for you’re playing the open D-string and not the Eb?

By the way: I’m used to write F#dim for the notes F#, A and C
and F#dim7 for the notes F#, A, C and Eb. Perhaps that’s different in the USA (I’m German). The first time I heard this chord was in a fingerpicking version of What a Friend We Have In Jesus. I immediately thought that it must be a diminished chord. As I had found out the chord I noticed that it is actually a D7. But because of the diminished sound of that chord I would like to name it a F#dim (add) b6. Unfortunately this sounds really strange.

2 Likes

Yes, technically if you have the 7th tone is a dim7 chord, good catch!

2 Likes

Great lesson! I had to chuckle at the title of the lesson. I believe many of us paid it all on guitar too. Good guitars ain’t cheap!

4 Likes

Really pretty Ben. I’ll have to learn the guitar next! New form of investments… :smile: :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Awesome lesson. Love them all. And yes he did. Bless you and family.

2 Likes