Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Intro to Improv

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/intro-to-improv-guitar-intermediate

The key to getting better at improvisation is to practice improvisation…imagine that. In this lesson I remove the barriers so that you can practice improvising immediately. Let’s go!

8 Likes

Paging @Oldhat2!

Looks great! Great job Scott!

1 Like

@scott_wilson in the scottlight.

2 Likes

Wow, this IS really a GREAT lesson ! Makes my guitar practice immediately a LOT more interesting and fun !
My only question is : is there a similar approach for improv on banjo ? Because there we have to keep going the “pearl of notes”…

1 Like

It was great to be there and involved in the session on improvising, I Learnt so much, many thanks Ben and Kaleb, cheers, Mike, (UK)

Really enjoying this.

“When the pressure to not mess up is removed, we can explore beyond the boundaries”.

Profound…Thank you.

There are a lot of ah-ha moments in this lesson. In the fourth video it was great to learn we can play the same notes up the neck to improvise. :zap:

Look out sixth fret, here we come. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That was the best lesson I’ve ever had. Can’t believe you used me on it but I hope everyone can see how valuable this lesson is. I was so nervous here but it was so eye opening and made improving accessible to me in a way I had never thought about before. My favorite lesson on the sight. Even though I’m a little embarrassed ha. Thanks @BanjoBen for getting me out of my comfort zone.

3 Likes

That’s so true. Sometimes too many notes can be overwhelming and the fear of messing up is paralyzing. Breaking things down to the simplest level can be very freeing.

3 Likes

@BanjoBen just gave us this lesson in person at the Athens Camp, and I agree with @scott_wilson, it’s my favorite lesson. I will be practicing this concept as much as possible. Now that I know @scott_wilson can do it, I know there’s hope for me! :wink::joy:

1 Like

@Bcaves Truest statement ever spoken!

1 Like

Man oh’ man. I been onto that feller to do this for at least 30 yrs! (maybe 10).

That’s a fabulous lesson. I wish someone would have given me that lesson yrs. ago.

Top notch Ben.

I don’t like you @scott_wilson…you have a “good ear” and the rest of us mortals have to catch up…jealous w/envy :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck: Enjoy what you have learned and your breakthrough. Work on your ear some more and you’ll be off to the races.

Ben site is great, taking folks right out of “a box” and setting them free. Everything a person needs to learn how to play…and play well.

2 Likes

For those of you that read this and like what Ben has revealed? Start working on that “ear” if you don’t hear it.

For those of you at the level when you can just start picking out a melody but need to work on your ear? Take those digital tuners off your guitar and tune by ear. That’s a good place to start. If you have a single reference note? You should be able to tune your instrument.

If you play to backing tracks to practice? Tune to that. You need to start learning what the notes are, you’ll have to if you want to “get good”, might as well get started. Teach your ear to tell you “when things are right”. Learn to listen. It will take some time.

If you create yourself a “structured and disciplined” practice routine for 2-3 years practicing doing what Ben has shown us here, and working on wrapping your head around the “CAGED System” /Major scale perhaps the Circle of 5ths? You can hit up @Mr_G for that stuff, work on “it all” for 2-3yrs with structured/focused practice…and you will be ready.

Have to start somewhere. I am just now starting to emerge out of “the other side” of this. I’ve been at it 3-5 years. Time has been short - but that’s all about to change. Perfect!

It’s a thrill when you start poking your head out every now and then and be able to think “wow that actually sounded pretty good while making it up on the fly”. Satisfying. Takes work though.

Have fun. This is a great lesson for all.

2 Likes