Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Inside Cabin Camp with Kenny Smith

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/inside-cabin-camp-with-kenny-smith-guitar-advanced

Kenny Smith is a guitar picker’s picker. He’s my friend and mentor. He’s also just good people. Kenny stopped by for a camp session Q&A. In this near hour session, Kenny will discuss his influences & upbringing. He’ll also talk about how he pays tribute to his heroes, Tony & Norman. You’ll learn technique to improve tone and stamina, how to create fresh scale phrases, and even how long to practice to be most efficient. Enjoy!

7 Likes

Oh I loved this time with Kenny. I love the way he approaches neighboring tones and non-chord tones.

5 Likes

Kenny never fails to blow my mind. I’m convinced no one today has as much attention to the ridiculously tiny details as he does. Not just in the notes he plays, but that section about how he strikes them… :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

5 Likes

Kenny is brilliant, interesting, passionate and funny. Always a pleasure to hear him talk.

2 Likes

After the group time with him, he graciously gave me 10 minutes of his time. Turned my playing inside out… 10 minutes with him is an hour with anyone else.

5 Likes

He is the Ron Block of Guitar

5 Likes

Ron Block playing guitar: Am I a joke to you?

4 Likes

Seeing this inspired me to pick up the Blueridge, after six month or so break, and start on Cold Frosty Morning. All the while very conscious of the pick grip advice. And economy of motion.

3 Likes

They actually do have pretty similar styles on guitar. That would be a great jam if you got both of them…

1 Like

Loved this! I’ve been listening to a lot of Kenny Smith the last few months. He has such a great style. Hope I can meet him someday.

3 Likes

I think you’d like him and get along great. He and Amanda seem to be as fine of people as they are musicians.

4 Likes

I remember Kenny talking about economy of motion a few years ago at my first Cabin Camp. I may have practiced the concept for a little while but I quickly went back to my old habits. As I watched this video it motivated me to try again. Hearing Kenny talk about a time when he wasn’t a smooth player and he saw Tony playing so effortlessly and then worked to be like Tony gives me some encouragement. Maybe we can all work to be like Kenny and become smoother faster pickers! I will admit it’s hard to break habits and I’ve had to slow way down to really concentrate on keeping my fingers close to the fingerboard. I’m going to stick with it this time no matter how much it slows me down.

3 Likes