Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: In The Garden

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/in-the-garden-guitar

In this world, there are a few melodies that stand alone apart from the words, and this is one. Perhaps one of the most beautiful and timeless hymns ever written, “In the Garden” holds a special place in my heart! Check out this straight-ahead finger style version out of the key of C.

4 Likes

One of my favorites. So glad you have this lesson! I’m loving it.

2 Likes

This was my mother’s favorite Hymn and one of mine. So, in the memory of the only angel I have known I am dedicating this song to her. The presentation is not yet performance grade but very close. A wonderful arrangement. I play it on my Gretsch 5422T through a Fender Hot Rod Deville amp which is super clean and resonate with a little reverb mixed in.

4 Likes

@BanjoBen, do you ever encourage the use of the 4th finger (ring) while fingerpicking? I’m more used to using four fingers and it seems that your arrangements typically use just three… or am I wrong on that? At any rate, do you think I could change up the right hand fingering a little to do what’s comfortable for me, or would it be better for my technique to adhere to the 3-finger method on the tab?

I want to get into your fingerstyle arrangements and I’m excited to start with this one!

5 Likes

Yep, I use it quite a bit! Please use what’s most comfy. I do gravitate toward using the same fingers as banjo for obvious reasons, but several of my fingerstyle arrangements use the ring.

7 Likes

Great. Thanks! I love this arrangement. Hope to show you in a video once I get it learned.

7 Likes

me and my sister are going to do play this song for church on the guitar and violin

3 Likes

Here it is, @BanjoBen, after about a month of practice! Not perfect yet I know, so I’ll keep polishing it. Just got it by memory, so that’s the main reason you’ll see me stall a few times - I’m still thinking hard about what comes next. :slight_smile: Thank you for this great lesson! I’ve had so much fun playing this beautiful song, and I’ll be happy for any critique/advice you can give me!

12 Likes

Oh, I LOVE it!! That is not easy to do at all! Great job! The next thing you should work on is getting more sustain in the notes. Take the first few measures and try to hold down each fret finger until you HAVE to move it. It will change the sound quite a bit and actually becomes easier to play. Keep me posted!

5 Likes

I will work on that! I know exactly what you mean. I’ll do another video once I practice it more. Thank you!

4 Likes

That was great! Can’t wait to see your next video after you work on Ben’s advice. Might have to change your name to Fingerpickin_Libby. :smiley:

6 Likes

Wham!

3 Likes

Thanks @Mark_Rocka. Maybe someday :joy: I am still a VERY beginner fingerpicker… just started December of last year but I’m enjoying the journey!

5 Likes

Sounds great!

5 Likes

That was great!

5 Likes

Hi @BanjoBen, here is Try #2. I hope this is an improvement - let me know! Thanks! :smile:

10 Likes

Wow that was super good!!

3 Likes

@TrevlyncM I appreciate it, thanks!!!

3 Likes

Even better than the 1st video! Great job! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Sounded fantastic!!

4 Likes