Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: I Am a Pilgrim- Clarence White Tribute

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/i-am-a-pilgrim-clarence-white-tribute-guitar

My two favorite guitar players are Clarence White and Tony Rice. I love to hear Tony talk about the influence he received from Clarence, and when you listen to Tony play, it is quite obvious. This tribute version of I Am a Pilgrim is not a copy of any particular version by those two masters, but rather a mixture of some licks and timing that they might have used or use. It is advanced for sure, but any player can benefit from the instruction provided in the timing challenges this tab presents! Go get 'em, soldier!

3 Likes

Ben,
I love your website and the spirit you bring to your playing, teaching and sharing your love of bluegrass guitar and banjo.
Mostly, I want to share my appreciation of all things “Clarence White!” I started playing 5 string banjo as a 14 year old kid in Queens, NYC back in 1978 after being inspired by the highjinks of Steve Martin’s banjo comedy and the virtuosity of Earl Scruggs. As you can imagine, being a city kid in the 70’s trying to play Foggy Mountain Breakdown with a stereo record player and limited tablature was a challenge, but that’s all we had.
I wish I had your website back then!
You are so talented and a great teacher.
As a kid I remember going into my local music store to look at and maybe buy anything bluegrass banjo, and I would see the Oak Publications “Bluegrass Banjo” by Peter Wernick, 1974, which I bought and treasured.
Right next to it was another Oak Publication entitled, “Clarence White guitar” 1978. I did not know who the long haired, bearded hippy looking guy was at the time, but since he wasn’t a banjo player, I wasn’t interested in it. Wow, it wasn’t until later that that smiling faced guy on that fake book was the same lead guitarist for the Byrd’s. To my astonishment, Clarence was that guitarist of The Byrd’s who played that awesome live pet of Black Mountain Rag that my brother and I listened to as teenagers in our bedroom. When I came across the YouTube video 12 years ago of Bob Baxter’s Guitarv Wirkshop show featuring Clarence and Rowland, I was blow away. I must have watched that video hundreds of times!
Now I have your website to finally learn how to play “I am a Pilgrim”.
Thank you!

5 Likes

Wow! Great story! The more I study Clarence the more I realize his genius.

1 Like

Cool lesson. One of my favorites. Thanks.

3 Likes

It looks like the run in measure 7 is the G blues scale (G minor pentatonic with the flatted 5th), but it’s played over a C chord. Obviously, it works, but I’m just trying to understand why. Is it because it’s leading into the G chord in measure 8?

Just trying to understand more about the scales behind the improvisation done on this lesson so I can mix it up a bit. This is a great lesson. One of my favorites on the site.

3 Likes

Hey @jason.c.cowley, welcome!

That would be my guess. Check out the “Pushin Licks” lesson, which discusses this principle:

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pushin-guitar-licks-guitar-advanced

-Michael

4 Likes

Hi Jason - This is only my opinion - anyone who knows better please correct me.

I think Micheal is correct when he says that the minor lick is trying to indicate where the songs chord progression is headed for the next measure in this case G. And because of the minor tension of the 7th measure you get a relaxed laid back G major pentatonic lick for measure 8

Measure 7 does move to a G minor pentatonic blues scale whist you are over a C major chord (which can be quite jarring) - but the very last triplet relies on notes from the G major pentatonic scale. Which leads you to the G major chord in measure 8 - Where there is then nothing truly surprising - scale wise - in the measure that follows measure 7

My apologies too if you already know this

A lot of modern/contemporary bluegrass music seems to freely modulate (at times) to the use of small phrases or notes taken from the minor pentatonic scale. It is very tricky to do it tastefully - Many licks, runs and phrases often add elements of the minor blues scale to add tension, contrast or color… To twist the listeners ear. The mixing and contrasting opposites - Dark + Light or Sweet + Sour - However you want to think about it.

In my opinion the overall flavor of many bluegrass songs remain rooted in the major pentatonic - but you are free to move into the minor at anytime as long as you can find your way back to the major without tripping up the melody or song you are trying to play. It is very hard to do. Ben’s version of this song is really clever. It has some bite but it doesn’t go too far.

You are fundamentally using a G major pentatonic scale but you are free to take opportunities to add in the flatten 5th and the G minor pantatonic at any point in the song as long as you can stick the landing in the major chord progression and the song fundamentally sounds major and harmonious as a whole. It is easy to add very jarring out of place minor pentatonic sounds if you are not careful - Really skill full players can do it almost effortlessly at any point they chose and you can marvel at how they can briefly divert your ears to somewhere unexpected and then bring them back to where you they should to be.

I don’t fully understand what they’re sometimes doing - that’s why I enjoy playing bluegrass and find it a challenge - The mixing of major and minor is exciting - you find yourself experimenting with it more.

What I end up admiring most is that this version of this song it that it has a really chilled - laid back groove - but there are some tasteful bluesy detours that sit just right…

Well worth learning - I’ve just started with it

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Those are very helpful insights.

2 Likes

Hi Jason

Thanks for raising the subject - It really got me thinking about it myself

I’d kind of guessed what maybe going on - IMHO - but breezed over what it may be doing without thinking deeply about it

It made me look at it again and experiment with some new ideas of my own - which I’ve now had some success with…

Before thinking about it to much - when you raised up to topic - I’ve gotten used to occasionally throwing a few “minor” blue notes around just to see what happened… With very varied results and no genuine understanding of what I might be doing.

Believe me I haven’t cracked the code myself - but I feel a little bit more certain of what I could be doing and it’s given me lots of ideas…

Which is great. So thanks for making think about my own playing and what I like to hear in it.

Good luck with your own studies!

2 Likes

That’s a great question and I’ll be honest, I don’t know if I thought about it too much except that I am “pushing” that lick, which means you’re right. I’m thinking G chord already before we actually get there. Good stuff, man.

2 Likes