Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: How to Play Pull-Offs

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/how-to-play-pull-offs-guitar

There are some lessons on this site that are absolutely integral to playing your instrument, and this is one of them! I answer all your questions about this foundational guitar technique, then we learn several exercises and a great lick to put our pull-offs into practice!

3 Likes

If you are a beginner this is an essential lesson.

If you believe yourself to be an intermediate or advanced player I’d highly recommend looking through this lesson even though Ben has described as “beginner” level.

I had never heard of or thought about “pull ups” - I am very familiar with pulling off a note with a downward motion. So for many players there will be something new here to learn

Ben does a very good job of explaining why these techniques are useful to develop. If you are the kind of player who like to know the advantage to you can gain or the reasons why you should investigate your own playing technique then Ben takes the time to explain it thoughtfully.

Ben has a developed very fluid style of flat picking which uses lots of ornamentation. I believe you will get the most from Ben’s tabs and will to be able emulate what he plays in his demonstrations with greater ease if you understand his approach to technique.

Good lesson

3 Likes

I bought this lesson because Pull-Offs have been my “playing weakness” since I have been playing for 45+ years. Ben explains everything on how to do it properly. He takes the time to show us and actually instruct us on how to do it. I really like that about Ben, showing us how to “grab” that string and making it sound the way it should. It is a great lesson, and I recommend it highly. Thanks, Ben!

Robert

4 Likes

good_post Robert. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I have been a student of @BanjoBen for nine years and I can attest to all you describe and I know of many other students here would echo your words of praise. I have studied with a lot of teachers none come close to providing such detailed instruction as Ben.

2 Likes