Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Guitar Ear Training– Key of G 1, 4, & 5

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/guitar-ear-training-key-of-g-1-4-5-guitar-beginner

Let’s train our ears to hear common chords in the key of G! Grab your guitar & a piece of paper and let’s have some fun!

8 Likes

Very nice. Not sure this should be flagged for beginners, as I think it will be helpful for a wide range of players.
Well done!:facepunch:

3 Likes

Great!!! It helps me listen. I enjoy your lessons!!! Thanks

2 Likes

Lord my ears are bad. Definitely need this practice.

2 Likes

Love these exercises! I’m getting most of these right, but the ones I’m missing tell me what I need to work on. Thanks!

2 Likes

Any plans for banjo?

2 Likes

I think you could do these lessons with a banjo (or almost any instrument) in your hands.

3 Likes

Very helpful and much needed lesson. Not being able to hear chord changes has continued to be a challenge after years of playing. Thanks!

3 Likes

Great lesson.

You are a great teacher. You will open up the ears of so many…who never even considered that this is such a important aspect learning to play music.

Folks need to look at this like using your eyes and familiarity. For instance, when you were 5 years old could you identify cars going down the road as a Ford, Chevy, Datsun, Edsel or “Slug Bug”? No, it took a bit of practice via training your eyes and your brain to properly identify them.

Music has really nothing to do with your eyes…it’s all about those ears! The bigger the better. But make no mistake about it, 80-90% of us really “can’t hear”. Have to train yourself to listen.

Slug Bug!

2 Likes

i may need hearing Aidslol!

2 Likes

I think one of the more obvious things to test is that if you can carry a tune and sing? Can you sing with headphones on over a song you like and “hear yourself”?

Music is all about “mimicking” It’s like playing the game “Simon”. It’s no different than comedians learning to mimic the voice (and sounding like) the person they are cracking the joke about.

If you put on your headphones, your voice should be able to almost identically match the person who is singing (within limits).

Toss on your head phones, see if you can stay in tune with the singer. Or are you “in tune” but singing it with different notes.

If you can’t even carry a tune or “hear yourself” while wearing headphones, then you “can’t hear”. You have to focus.

To develop my ear, I viewed it as a “mimic” game. I’d perhaps click on a Youtube vid/song I wanted to learn, and I’d “clip” the first minute of the song and loop it about 5 times and somewhat get down the guitar rythm trying to mimic the strumming I could hear.

I’d then “loop” perhaps the first 20 seconds of the song/intro, and then I’d learn the intro, play rhythm guitar, then try mimic my voice with the singers voice…maybe the 1st two lines of the opening verse. T

Then I’d spend perhaps 20 hours working out the rest of the song.

It takes work. Toss on some head phones and start trying the mimic (sing the same notes) as the singer. Or if there is a guitar intro, then “clip” the first 5-10 seconds and try use your ear to find the first note/same as guitarist.

You have to take “baby steps” with this. It is learned. But you need to start.

The good news is deaf, dumb, and old people like myself can improve their hearing…but it takes practice.

Mimic.

More please. These are wonderful and very helpful!!!

1 Like

This is great. I look forward to more ear training courses!

1 Like

Welcome @branwenhunolt!

1 Like