Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Good King Wenceslas Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/good-king-wenceslas-build-a-break-guitar-beginner

I give you three solos for this classic Christmas tune in G, using the build-a-break structure. We begin with the basic melody, then add eighth notes and scales, and finally some slick licks to make it really shine!

Banjo Ben,
I am really struggling with my rhythm speed, I can keep up with all tempos on this song except the last time that you played it, that’s faster than I can play. If I was just starting out this would be fine but I have played off and on for several years and I hit a brick wall and can’t get any faster. The weird thing is that if I strum with my fingers I can go much faster than that and then I can put the pick in my hand and start strumming without touching the strings and ease my hand closer to the strings and as soon as the pick contacts the strings I feel tension shoot dow my arm and my speed drops off. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I know it’s not because I’m holding the pick too tight I hold it loose enough that I can feel it move in my fingers but tight enough that I don’t drop it. If it matters I use a blue chip pick.

1 Like

How about when you play a single string over and over? Are you able to play it in such a way that the tension is removed and the speed picks up?

1 Like

When I am picking the tension isn’t there I have only noticed it while strumming, I have been able to see a significant increase in my picking speed over the last few weeks but in the last year and a half I have been stuck at the same strumming speed

And let me add this i am only feeling the tension when trying to strum using eighth note strums ( 1 2& 3 4& or 1&2&3&4& tickling the strings ) if I play the simple boom chuck the tension goes away and I can play a little faster

1 Like

Ok, that’s interesting. Can you start picking a single string up and down and slowly expanding your movement until you do two strings, then keep going until the tension starts?

1 Like

The PDF file does not seem to be opening for me. , with a message that reads, “the XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it”. All the other PDFs have worked fine for me.

Hi Patrick

I just opened the file using my PC & Adobe Reader

Try refreshing your browser if that doesn’t work please tell us

How are you accessing the website ? PC, Mac or Phone ?
What browser are you using ?
What PDF software you use ?

2 Likes

A simple refresh seemed to work! Thank you!

2 Likes

@BanjoBen

Ben at the very end of your last “burnin’ it up” rhythm play-through you play a final little lick after your signature g-lick. It looks like you’re strumming up and bending the 6th string with your thumb. Can you tell us what exactly you’re doing there? It sounds pretty cool!

How many of you keep working on the lessons until you can play it at the top speed? Does this seem impossible for anyone besides me? I can usually hit the middle of the three speeds offered (sometimes a bit faster), but rarely can I play at the same speed Ben does.

1 Like

Don’t worry about bringing them up to speed–yes, I know that’s hard. Worry about being accurate and understanding all the concepts. Speed will come as your desire continues (for the most part…every now and then it’s good to get a video out for us to review for any impediments).

2 Likes

Great question @Zarmbinski Dean. Rarely do I reach top speed. For me I focus on playing accurate and getting through a tune without too many mistakes, I use the TEF files and listen a lot. The TEF fiex are also helpful for building speed. If I could play a good as @BanjoBen I’d be out earning a good living playing or teaching. I am just glad I have Ben as my teacher

1 Like

Is there a way to display the notes on the staff in the TEF files? This would be very helpful with learning the geography of the fret board - really learning where the notes are on the instrument.

Yes you can. Here’s a vid from Ben on how to do that:

1 Like