Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: G Major Scale Study

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/g-major-scale-study-guitar

This lesson is a technique and speed-building monster, and one that every single guitar player should be familiar with. We’re going to learn the G major two-octave scale in two different positions, then build speed by learning the circular scale I developed.

Hi Ben, this lesson is taking hours to load and play. My PC works fine on every other site so I think it is on your end.

Interesting, it’s loading fine on my end. I don’t know what’s up.

2 Likes

Loaded up nice and fast for me. Can you try refreshing the page and viewing it again? Or maybe try a different browser? I’m on Google Chrome.

2 Likes

No problems with it here. I’m running Chrome on a PC and firefox on a Mac

1 Like

Working fine in Scotland, What Web browser are you using ?

1 Like

Ive heard ben say a few times on the videos that its important to always alternate pick. Whats the reasoning for this? It seems to be easier to just feel the picking and sometimes during my alternate picking if im going from the A to D string for example to do two down strokes in a row. Should i try and break this habit?

1 Like

Very important for power, speed, tone, and evenness. Most all advanced players in bluegrass adhere to this, though there are some exceptions. Please do try it and see what happens when you commit to it, it will be tough at first, of course.

1 Like

Newbie question here.
When I am practicing/learning a scale, what should my brain be thinking?
should I try to be memorizing the notes/tabs as I play or just the positions and tones of the notes?
I guess im asking the ultimate goal in learning scales.
I hope this makes sense to someone. I just want to make the best of practice and learning.
Thanks

1 Like

I am a very visual learner… so as I am learning a new scale or lick… I am looking for a “shape” or pattern that I can relate to that scale or lick. Once I have done that, I can then place that lick or scale anywhere on the neck that I want. The main reason for my doing that (beyond the fact that I am a visual learner) is that in a real life playing situation - at a jam or during a performance - there is no time to be thinking about individual notes. My muscle memory will take me through the licks and scales and arpeggios etc based on the “Shapes” I have learned. Does that make sense?
Mr G

4 Likes

Hi @Hook welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum.

To answer your question. Is the next note in the scale higher or lower than the one you’ve just played.

A big part of learning scales is LISTENING. If you work through Ben’s lessons you’ll soon become familiar where the notes are on the fretboard

thanks everybody.

1 Like

Hi Ben. Is there any particualr reason why you teach the open G scale starting with your middle finger rather than simply using the ring finger and playing the F# with the pinky? Kind of the four fingers four frets concept of the first position. Especially when the pinky is going to be fully utilyzed when moving to the closed version. Just wondering. Thanks.

Dave Coss

1 Like

That’s a great question and the answer is because that’s generally how you’ll play the scale in “real life”…my approach is to use the strongest fingers when possible and that’s what we use here. Definitely nothing wrong with that pinky, and I do encourage pinky use/growth in lots of places. Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply & the welcome. I am really enjoying the site. I love the way you present the material. There is so much to learn about this kind of music and falt picking that it’s like drinking from a fire hose sometimes. Watched the discussion with Kenny Smith from your Cabin Camp last evening. Hope you can present more of that knd of thing. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Loving this lesson!
Thanks Banjo Ben.

1 Like