Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Fireball Mail Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/fireball-mail-build-a-break-guitar-advanced

Let’s establish the basic melody, then jump the rails for some major (and minor) fun! We’ll even go up and octave and channel some banjo twang!

7 Likes

This very guitar is for sale here: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/gruene-dg-30-dreadnought-guitar-with-case

I also have a mahogany version here: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/gruene-dg-20-dreadnought-guitar-with-case

5 Likes

Great breaks for the guitar… nicely in line with the awesome mando stuff you did for this song.

About the guitar… this may not be the right place on the forum, but it’s the first I have seen (or heard of) the Gruenes. I am intrigued… 'Merican made, good looking and sounding guitar. I am not sure from the website description, but are they Martin clones or tweaked versions? I am looking forward to playing these.

2 Likes

I think someone there at the Gruene factory worked for Martin, but I’m not sure. I know the fit/finish is as good or better. They are legit guitars. I waited for a long while to release them after we had put them through the paces. This particular guitar reminds me of Tony’s Santa Cruz that he recorded Tone Poems with. I got a chance to play that guitar for quite a while. It struck me as not very loud, but incredibly responsive with a wide range. That’s the same with this guitar. It’s not as loud as my D28 (I know that the Gruene is brand new), but it has more response and a sweeter tone.

2 Likes

I really like these build a break lessons Ben. They help to find your own voice rather than just following the tab and trying to be a tribute player. Great message about following the melody rather than just stringing licks together. The stringing licks together is one of those traps you can fall into without even knowing it, so a nice heads up for pointing that out. I actually follow the tab as close as I can to start out, but then take your advice on how to take things in a different direction.

3 Likes

This is really an interesting song Ben the way you got the groove going on. Your right about might struggle just relying on the tab alone. In measure 21 you have that slide on the fifth string first to third fret, then hit the octave. Without listening to the way you play it in that part, I had a hard time making it work, until I watched you tie it into the surrounding notes. Can’t hesitate on that C octave note or will throw you off. Gotta do a quick rest and then outta there. I’ve been working both ways with your tab, then kick some stuff around per your suggestion. Great lesson!

1 Like

Very cool, thanks for the feedback! Yeah, that octave is challenging but funky and fun!

I will say was not fun at first, for me at least given the fact I’m not one of those guys who picks things up intuitively. It’s more about perseverance for me given the fact I am a mere mortal. Once you dig into it though, like you say is very fun. I had no trouble playing the octave, just had trouble making it sound musical. Is one of those things to where you have to get all the parts in synch at the right speed.

This lesson is one to help a player grow musically. The temptation is for many players to fall into the rut of trying to play straight shred, while ignoring the groove. This song is all about the groove. Shred may impress momentarily; groove will make people want to sit and listen to you. A great lesson such as this makes a player think differently about what they have been playing.

3 Likes

Right on.

2 Likes

I finally got around to learning this song. Wow is it ever a fun one! I’ve been playing it over and over because it’s so much fun and sounds so good! Thanks for the lesson!

4 Likes

gif @Katie_Rose