Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Eighth of January

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/eighth-of-january-guitar-advanced

This one is also known as “The Battle of New Orleans”…we’ve got two guitar solos that would make both Ol’ Hickory AND Johnny Horton proud! Let’s start with a basic melody then beef it on up.

I must say Sir… I really like this version.
Planning to start learning it this afternoon.

1 Like

Oh nice! This was actually one of my banjo lessons from 32 years ago that I was never able to conquer. It was nothing but melodic picking and I just wasn’t ready for it. I may have to go back and see if I can try it again.

1 Like

I have a pdf and a tabedit version of this tune by Tony Rice,but can’t find the video.You covered his sixteenth and quarter note pulloffs if I remember correctly.

1 Like

BTW, 8th of January WAS the start of the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, hence the association between the two names.
According to a plaque in the Ozark Museum (Mountain View Arkansas), this song can be traced back to England in the 1500’s.

1 Like

Do you play all of the instruments heard sepreatly then put toghter and if so what softwear do and you use

1 Like

Yep, I do and I use Logic Pro X for the audio recording and Premiere Pro for the video editing.

2 Likes