Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Cripple Creek

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/cripple-creek-guitar

I’ve got two solos for this one: a low solo and a high solo. Both are built for speed and are perhaps the most fun flatpickin’ arrangements I’ve created.

1 Like

Banjo Ben, I notice that, unlike other arrangements, you “anchor” your pinky for the low part. On other lessons, your picking hand appears to be closed. Do you have a technique about “when” or “if” to anchor the pinky?

I don’t have a hard fast rule as I’ve changed over the years, and I know so many outstanding pickers that use both techniques. I find that I blend the two quite often.

1 Like

Thanks for your prompt response. I appreciate it. I am currently using the “closed” right hand, but may experiment more in the future. Roger

1 Like

Hopefully someone can help me with speed. I can play this pretty good at about 80 beats but when I try to speed up I start making mistakes. I can almost play rhythm with Ben’s speed on the preview but can’t get any walks in. I just keep practicing slow and hope my finger coordination gets better. Is that how you all got faster, practice slow then speed it up with a metronome, thats what I’m trying.

2 Likes

That is, AFAIK, the most surefire way to get something up to speed cleanly. I don’t use it very often, though, because I usually shy away from learning one full arrangement at a time. I usually go to write/play an arrangement and not get through it because I just can’t stop playing a lick that I find really cool. So my process is spread out.

I am not a guitar player so take this advice with a spoonful of caution.

As a banjo player I use TableEdit/Tefview to help me build speed using the TAB/TEF files as my backing track.

Once I have learned to play the tune. I set the speed to something fairly slow and comfortable. With a Guitar Rhythm TAB in the background to help with my timing I gradually increase the tempo over several days/weeks.

This works for me but some folks prefer to use a metronome. Once I get it up to a speed that matches one of Ben’s mp3 backing tracks I’ll switch to using the mp3 although I much prefer TableEadit/Tefview as I have better control of the incremental speed settings.

Baby steps - It worth remembering babies learn to crawl before they learn to walk, They also learn to walk before they can run. Along the way they will fall and shed a lot of tears of frustration but eventually they pick themselves up and try it again. Patience, Perseverance & Practice lots of it will help you reach your goal

1 Like

I never could use a metronome, found it distracting. I just start really slow and let the speed develop naturally. At least that technique has served me well for 35 years….until blue grass bit me. Like yourself I seem to reach a point and stop making progress.

2 Likes

welcome @ronzimmer69 Ron to @BanjoBen 's Forum