Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Black Mountain Rag in C

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/black-mountain-rag-in-c-guitar

This is one of my favorite pickin’ tunes of all time! It’s actually the first flatpicking song I ever learned on guitar, but I’d be embarrassed to put that version on the site. Ha! This one is more in the style of the late, great “Doc” Watson, and includes the extra part he would often play, though most versions I hear omit it. This version is written in the key of C and played with no capo, however it’s often played in D. No problem there…just slap a capo on the 2nd fret and you’re good to go!

2 Likes

Is the lesson preview in 220 BPM? That the 240 BPM audio clip provided feels really fast. I can keep up with your preview, but not so much the 240 :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi Eric @brahbean If you install the Free Audacity Software you can download the Mp3 File and use the App to slow down/speed up the playback

Checkout the link below

1 Like

You’re right, those are different speeds. I don’t know why I don’t have the 220 rhythm track, but there are options to get any speed you need with free software like @Archie mentioned.

3 Likes

Thanks so much. Audacity is good idea.

It was more a sanity check than anything :grin:Thanks again!

1 Like

I absolutely love playing this song and am working very hard to get my slide timing correct. One question I have is toughening up my fingers for the slides. It seems like the more skilled I become the less pressure I need on the strings. Do the slides get easier by not applying so much pressure or by building the callouses more. Hope this makes sense.

2 Likes

Everything gets easier once you grow callouses. I used to apply so much pressure my fingers had deep grooves my skin would split and bleed. Once I’d learned to ease off on the pressure my fingers healed and callouses grew. It’s important to practice regularly to maintain your callouses. Yes playing slides and pull off’s do become easier and clearer with regular practice.

2 Likes

Thanks Archie, its getting clearer every day, I’m working on a better little finger callous but sometimes it gets a groove from that second string slide. I most certainly don’t want to cut it on the string. Patience and practice huh

2 Likes

One thing I forgot to mention about slides is the burning effect. If you have ever pulled on a rope and your grip began to slide you will surely recall the pain. By lightening up the pressure on the strings there is less friction and after a while your fingers will soon begin to glide over the frets. Use your ears to listen for the subtle note change

1 Like

Ah, after 3 months of working on it I can feel the song now and it is my proudest work. I love it and am getting ready to make a video, I just need to work on the ending a little more. After practicing slides in this song I can hear how they happen in many more songs now. I am not up to high speed yet but a pretty OK at 120 Thanks Archie and Ben

2 Likes

Hello, Banjo Ben!

In your video, you mentioned that you didn’t know where Black Moutain is. It’s a town 15 minutes outside of Asheville, N.C. According to one of the locals, the tune actually originated there, and spread out from that location.

Robert

2 Likes

Thanks! I think I heard that since creating the lesson–I need to visit!

1 Like

It’s a very nice town. Me and the wife visited Asheville this past summer-did the Blue Ridge Parkway (we’re from Wilmington, NC), Biltmore Estate (expensive!), and a few other things, but visiting the small towns outside of Asheville, NC was the real highlight of our trip (Burnsville, Weaverville, Black Mountain, etc). That’s where the real culture and beauty lies.

Hi. Dumb question from a BBC newbie…is there a tab of the rhythm track for Black Mountain Rag other than the MP3 versions. Really enjoying the site and appreciate the help. Tks, Tim

3 Likes

Welcome Tim! You can download the .tef file for the lesson, which usually shows tab for the basic rhythm. You’ll need the TEFview app to open the file.

3 Likes

Thanks Mark. Excellent…you are right, I need to get the TEF View app. Thanks Again.

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone has posted something like this yet, but here is my StrumMachine track for BMR. It is setup to match this lesson’s structure, progression, etc. It has helped me bring my practice together and ramp up my tempo. Thanks Ben for the great lesson. Such a fun tune!

https://strummachine.com/app/songs/bcoTq8EnZSSKbgtsi

1 Like

Very cool! You’re welcome!

been trying to learn that tune a long time many years just cant the fingers movin when you have arther itis

Thanks for the Strum Machine upload. Strum Machine is far and away the best bluegrass teaching tool out there. The first thing that it did was to show me how bad I was. After that, it is pulling me to be better. It improves my timing immensely. It’s also helping me to learn to recover when I get lost in the middle of a piece.

2 Likes