Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Basic Guitar Rhythm- Part 2

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/basic-guitar-rhythm-part-2-guitar-beginner

So you’re back for round 2…good for you.

1 Like

what is a good metronome rhythm to start out using to play this? to be able to gain speed.
is like 40 to 50 BPM good to start until i gain gain my speed.

1 Like

Hi Colton

I don’t play guitar and I no longer use a metronome. But what I would suggest is you set the metronome to a speed that you can play comfortably. As you practice increase the metronome @ 5 BPM increments

I work with @BanjoBen 's TEF files using TablEdit I find this a better tool for practice and increasing speed.

Check out this thread for more info

1 Like

Yes 40-50 BPM might be a good start for Ben’s Advanced lessons. Check out TEF file like Archie suggests. You can vary the tempo between 20% (roughly 25-50 BPM depending on the level) and 200% of Ben’s performing speed.

1 Like

thank you @jmonickaraj1 and @Archie for the fast reply! ive have downloaded tabledit

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the lesson!!

1 Like

@BanjoBen I’m loving your site man! I have a question about holding the pick and my wrist position. When you are strumming are you holding the pick differently than when you are picking a lick? Does your wrist stay bent when you are picking a lick? I feel like I don’t have control unless my wrist is resting on the bridge when playing licks.

2 Likes

Great question! I hold the pick the same but my wrist flattens out a bit when I begin picking, yep. Be sure not to press against the bridge too much, though…kills your tone fast.

5 Likes

Hey, Ben, on mandolin, I was always taught to limit hand rotation in picking and strumming (Mike Marshall), as it’s inefficient, but that’s different somewhat on a guitar strum? It seems your hand moves more vertically when flat picking, and rotates more on the strum. Maybe I just answered my own question, :slight_smile:

I play a little guitar, but just trying to cross over from mando, and get the basic mechanics down. Thanks!

1 Like

Everyone is a bit different. Mike is a master but I know many who rotate on mando, too. But yes, the guitar strum is a bigger movement and requires the rotation. Thanks!

2 Likes