Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Amazing Grace- Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/amazing-grace-build-a-break-guitar

We start with the VERY basic Amazing Grace melody in the key of G, then add strums, then beef it up even further for a great solo or group arrangement!

Well, here I am, day one lesson one, beginner level, plugging along with "Amazing Grace. Love it, but one little thing. Guess something I have to adapt to. I’m not new to a guitar, just never got anywhere with it but have been fooling around with chords for years. In this lesson, Ben advises to mute the “A” string with the fatty part of the ring finger. That’s not a problem. I always do that, because I am unable to do otherwise. I guess I have short fat fingers, because no natter how I try, no matter how I contort my fingers, that blasted “A” string is ALWAYS muted. I can’t keep my finger from touching it. I hope it’s possible to someday be able to play a decent guitar even though my fat little fingers won’t allow me to clearly play all six notes in some chords.

Perhaps you can record a short video showing what you’re talking about and I’ll offer feedback. Post it in the video swap forum category. Thanks!

i love the lesson

1 Like

When you get to the end of the tab for solo2 and want to go back and start it again but stay in time, like you do in the recording, what are you playing for those extra beats?

Oops… think I see now that you are playing what is at the end of solo 3. Hadn’t gotten that far when I posted the q.

1 Like

Is there an advantage to playing the stretched G7 as opposed to the one that’s closer to the C shape?

It’s really up to you and the voicing you desire…great point!

1 Like

Ok, thanks! I haven’t been here long, but so far it seems that while you may like to goof around a lot, the things you do musically, and they way you teach them, are pretty intentional, so I figured there had to be a reason you do that G7 shape. I’m brand new to using different voicings, so I didn’t even think of that. I just joined Cyber Monday and am loving it so far. Great stuff! It’s my new addiction.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, and welcome!

How important is it to follow your picking pattern? It seems more natural to me to down pick on some of the notes than to go over the string to pick up on it. Thanks.

2 Likes

@BanjoBen always has a good reason for picking in a certain direction. If things feel a little awkward for you trust me stick with it. In time you will become a much better player in the long run.

3 Likes

I would say that it’s very important to first learn to play downstrokes on downbeats and upstrokes on upbeats– not necessarily because it’s always the best way to play a section, but because it will really help ingrain the sense of rhythm in you.
Tony Rice often didn’t follow the rules with strict down-up picking (especially with crosspicking sections), but it’s important to understand the rules before you break them, if that makes any sense. I’ve been following alternate picking for 3 years or so and am just now starting to break the rules a little bit, trying to play some sections Tony did. It’s tough, like @Archie said, but learning how to play anyway you want requires a good understanding of both ways– and because rhythm is one of the most important aspects of music, it’s “best” to learn downstrokes on downbeats, upstrokes on upbeats first.

4 Likes

Just started using the Amazing Grace lesson in preparation for an upcoming camp. What initially looked to be a simple lesson really has several significant concepts imbedded., not the least is stroke direction. Thanks for emphasizing the attention to detail. Now I just have to do it!

1 Like