Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Wreck of the Old 97 Build-a-Break

OK, I just spent some time writing a 4th verse to this lesson. I’m trying my hand at taking what Ben has created and building on top of it, being careful to keep all of the important bits and working in around them. I’m pretty happy with what I came up with. We have been at the ranch since Friday morning, so didn’t really have any time to work on this until tonight. I’m going to do my best to get this whole lesson up to speed tomorrow and post the video.

If you’re interested, here’s what I came up with. (Again, it won’t let me post the TEF.)

3 Likes

@Mark_Rocka Dang! I need to learn how to work in that program like you have!

2 Likes

@JohnnyD It’s pretty simple, start out with copy an paste measures. You can have more than one tef file at a time. Insert or delete notes. Tab stuff out from books listen to how it sounds. That’s how I got started and quickly learned that NOT all tab’s are as great as @BanjoBen 's

Has the storage space reached it’s capacity do you think or could it be a broken upload path? I can’t read this @Mark_Rocka can you try and upload a PDF, see if that works. Wonder why this is happening now after all these years working perfectly @BanjoBen

@Mark_Rocka If the 1, 7 and 33 measures all have a 1/2 beat rests shouldn’t the notes after the rests be 1/4 notes? Doesn’t having two 1/2 notes after the 1/2 note rest equal 1 1/2 beats. I know how this should sound and how to play it, but I am just trying to figure out the logic behind the 1/2 notes in these measures.

P.S. I do not have the tab in front of me and do not know exactly what the 33 looks like. I have also not gotten that far in the song yet.

I’m looking at the tab now and I see a half measure rest and then 2 quarter notes on 1 and 17. 33 shows 4 quarter notes.

If you play the TEF file using the TEFViewer program, it should all make sense. I highly recommend doing that over trying to read the PDF.

1 Like

That makes sense now. For some reason I thought that the whole line was a 1/2 note. I had reversed the two. I have not seen a lot of 1/2 and 1/4 notes. Most of the tab I have used before were in 1/16 with 1/8 being the longest note used.
Thanks!

1 Like

Finally!!

I think the banjo gods took pity on me for having such a tough time with this lesson, because this is the first time I can remember getting the video on the first take.

So if you’ve been following this lesson, you know that I’m leaving out the first run through that only has the melody notes. That’s because I wrote my own last verse. My goal was to just keep building on what Ben has already established, keeping key notes in or near the right places and just adding embellishments around the frame he built. Now, let’s see if the board will let me upload the TEF file.

Ban-WreckOld97WithMarksVerse

Nnnnope! It just doesn’t like me. I tried from Chrome and Firefox. So, if anyone wants the TEF of my last verse, shoot me a PM.

2 Likes

Hi @Mark_Rocka tell me the sequence of events your using to upload the tef file. See if I can help resolve this for you.

I do the same thing I do when I upload a picture. I click on the upload button circled in red, choose the file, and upload it. It appears to upload fine until I submit the post. Then I see a broken link.

1 Like

Testing TEF upload…
NeverGrowOld2.tef (2.0 KB)

I could do it with the same procedure. Size do matter though with files, and I assume it keeps track of previous uploads to keep it within the space allocated/limited for an id.

The TEF I’m trying to upload is 12kb, so I’d hope it’s not a size issue problem. I’m sure nearly every image I’ve uploaded is bigger than that.

Let’s see if I can upload the same tab as a PDF.
Ban-WreckOld97WithMarksVerse.pdf (285.3 KB)

Dun dun DUUUUUUUN! The plot thickens! It’s only me and TEF files.

4 Likes

That’s the same way I do it so it’s possible there is a problem with your computer. Suggest moving the file to another folder nearer the top of the stack and try again.

Ok so that worked now try a TEF file

That’s good, pdf uploads. If only TEF, maybe you should try renaming/changing the extension to something else and give it a shot.

Both of these files were updated today and came from the same folder on my PC. I’ve also tried uploaded TEF files from my MacBook in the past and had the same problem. It appears to be something with my User account here on the forum.

That’s a good idea. Let’s see.
Ban-WreckOld97WithMarksVerse

Nope. I renamed it to .tee and it’s still broken. Funny thing is, I can tell it’s broken before I ever finish the reply. The icon in the preview pane looks broken.

2 Likes

Mark, you can also download the TEF I attached and upload it to see it works (to rule out file integrity issues) as it is very small. I do know that user id has limits as it allowed pictures for me before it stopped allowing such uploads, unless it was very small, sometime ago. But defintely, a mystery for now!

I have looked at my account and I don’t anywhere to disable uploads. If you still have a contact for Stephen? Maybe he can check it out.

It’s OK guys. I’m really not that worried about it. If someone really wants it (doubtful) I can just email it to them. I appreciate your willingness to help.

2 Likes

Be interesting to find out why your locked out.