Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Wreck of the Old 97 Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/wreck-of-the-old-97-build-a-break-banjo

Let’s start with the basic melody, then add a few rolls, then beef it up a bit to create our own banjo solo for this great tune! Even more, let’s learn how to create solos for any song we want to play.

3 Likes

Im loving this lesson Ben what a great tune…

Thanks

3 Likes

Hi Ben…one question, at solo Nbr3, measure 36…is it right you strike the last note instead of open 1st string at 3rd fred second string and run/silde into the first note of measure 37 ?..

1 Like

I do play the open 1st string, but I’m also getting a slide up to the 5th fret that isn’t notated in the tab. I bet that I talk about it in the lesson.

1 Like

Thks Ben…

1 Like

Hey folks,it works :wink: …, able to play the tune now,slowly (120 BPM,s)

4 Likes

able to play the tune now,slowly (120 BPM,s)

Thats great news Tom

If you have TablEdit or TefView you can use it to help you increase your speed in small increments using the TAB Tef files.

2 Likes

I just downloaded the Tef tab, but it’s completely blank? Help?

3 Likes

PDF tab works fine for me

3 Likes

Tef File worked fine for me earlier today. Gunnar

2 Likes

Ok it’s fine, I just learned it from the video instead

3 Likes

So, for the “Beef it Up” version, going slow, measures 38-40 (especially 40) don’t sound very nice. Is that something that will just sound better as I’m able to speed up? Perhaps I just need to tune my banjo better…

2 Likes

Hi Bryan, welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum That’s a great question. Measure 40 is a D lick and many beginners struggle with the D chord.

If you watch the video closely you will see that Ben explains in some detail how he frets the strings with just two fingers and plays a simple forward roll proceeded by a pinch where he uses his index and middle finger to pick the strings

It does take a little while to nail it but it’s not really all that difficult. Try not to over-think it just do it and it will come good. Trust me I have been there.

2 Likes

It does sound like there’s a clash because you’re playing two notes that are only a half step apart. It’s gonna sound funny slow and especially with banjo only and no backup happening. But if you speed it up a bit and have a guitar playing, it sounds great! It still has grit in it, but that’s what playing banjo is all about :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My 6 year old brother Leo wanted me to share a video of him working on this song. Thanks @BanjoBen

19 Likes

Great job Leo banjo hat_wave

3 Likes

Great picking! :blush:

3 Likes

Holy smokes, that’s incredible!

4 Likes

I can’t open the PDF tab for this lesson. I get an error message that says “This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.” Some XML follows that. I’m using Chrome (but I get the same result with Bing). I have not had trouble (even today) with other PDFs on your site.

Hmm they download just fine for me, sorry! I’m sure you’ve tried refreshing your browser but please try again

1 Like