Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Waypoints- Learning the Banjo Neck- G Chord

Well not abandon like, “abandon all hope if you are a power forward catching a pass and you get mauled by the opposition,” but maybe put aside and focus on Technic development first then come back to it.

2 Likes

Looks like we will have something fun to do today! You should trademark this for all three instruments! Waypoints™ Banjo Lessons or similar to that. :wink:

2 Likes

What Bach did with the Well-Tempered Clavier… for keyboards- making techinque-building excercises musical… Ben is to the Banjo!

I like Hop, Skip and Jump for the same reason.

Ben, one lesson idea I had was to build on your “licks” lessons (endings for example) but space them out into a song… rather like the evolution of a way to practice all of them but in a tune context.

I realize they are intended to be interchangeable but the ability to have them fit into a song make them easier to get into practice and flow at tempo.

Maybe, then suggest the student rotate the 2 bar licks into the same song position - just to switch them up…

Example: learn song with 4 2-bar end licks embedded in it… then learn to play the 2 lick in the first position and the 3rd in the 2nd position…

This idea is to rotate these 2-bar licks inside the song in other spots. That way, they can be interchanged anyway the player wants.

2 Likes

I’ve used all of these positions–and most of the licks–over the years, but I’ve never practiced them in this way by systematically joining them up and down the neck. Great lesson! I look forward to future lessons for C and D and any others.

2 Likes

Consider this a po’ boy’s ™

2 Likes

This is a GREAT LESSON! After an hour… my fingers ache… in a good way.

3 Likes

After you’ve watched this lesson, watch this video of Russ Carson and see if you can pick out the Waypoints: https://www.facebook.com/81crowe/videos/vb.1479900306/10211529910631616/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

8 Likes

So COOL that I can totally see this video with fresh eyes. The impact of way points is very clear. This was a great follow up illustration for the lesson. Thanks for posting Ben. I’d be kidding myself that I can follow ALL those notes but this isn’t about the notes. That isn’t the point. It is all about hand positions & movements are so relevant to the lesson.

This player’s advanced skill is obvious but where once I just heard a flurry of notes… I now perceive what he is doing and building behind those notes.

This illustration is a little bit like removing the blindfold and allowing a me to “peek behind the curtain”. It removes just a little bit of that mystique.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m talking 'bout.

1 Like

Good Stuff … !!! I know what I’m doing for the next few hours … :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks Ben,
Hope I am smart enough to get the handle on this. Great lesson! I have been watching the basic lessons by your buddy on this site. Funny how you can remember stuff that you once knew and find new grains you never heard. They say even a blind sow finds an acorn now and then! I now believe it…
Thanks for everything you do for us. J
ohn

2 Likes

Is this a lesson I would want to work on as a beginner or should I wait til I’m more in the Intermediate stage

1 Like

im a beginner too. and i have kept myself in the begginer section. but i just had to check this one out when it came.
if it was a song i probably wouldent.
now i have spent 1h each day with this. with work and little kid. that most i can do.
and it is so much fun to play and sounds good. my ring finger starts to hurt a bit though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Give it a try, why not?!

1 Like

I have been playing just 2 years… consider myself as a beginner :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It’s always good to try to stretch your skill level, you may not manage all aspects of the lesson but you will be adding knowledge to your bag of tricks. If you remain within your comfort zone you wont progress very far.

2 Likes

Crafty edit, my friend.

I was just going to advise - and it literally went poof before my very eyes!

1 Like

I keep hearing Alan Munde’s voice with a twinkle in his eye, “knowing where the notes are is very useful”. Thanks Ben, this is a great exercise.

3 Likes

Welcome to Banjo Ben’s Forum Michael

Yep, welcome @mpgraves!

1 Like