Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Unclouded Day Build-A-Break

Sure you can do that!

2 Likes

I’m having trouble playing with the jam tracks even the slowest one, I get lost two measures in and I dont when the chords change, if I’m not playing with it then I can follow along in my head but I lose it when I start to play, any ideas?

I know it can be scary, but best thing to do is record your attempt and post it here via a youtube link. Then, I’ll be able to diagnose and get you going!

2 Likes

Attempt with jam track.
5 Likes

Attempt without jam track
5 Likes

I know this took me half an eternity but here it is. This might sound pompous of me but I hit the very evident reality that I am still a beginner. I want to play from the soul but still am playing mechanically. Critique away.

2 Likes

Hi Jesse, @Hillbilly_picker
Can you hear the backup track well enough?

It takes a while to get the feel of doing this…you’re playing ahead of the BU track…when you get too far ahead it’s causing you to wait for it which usually ends up in a bobble.

Not an easy thing to do when first starting out, but you’re getting a handle on it, even if you might think not.

Try relaxing and letting Ben’s track tell you where the beat is (that’s what it’s for). This is not quick & easy either, relaxation takes practice also.
It does not happen overnight… it takes time and patience.

I think you’re getting ahead on the rolls…it happens when we practice them a lot & start knowing them well …they get easier than actually getting through the whole piece, so they tend to be easier (more comfortable) to play faster, and we are already under pressure to “keep up” when learning any piece (particularly with the added stress of recording added in), which can cause us to play faster than required on parts we are really familiar with. It’s all quite normal…

3 Likes

Hi Jesse, Like Dave said are you able to hear the backing track? You seem to speed up and then slow down. I do the same when I use the backing tracks. Do you use the TEF files ? I find I have much better control because I can adjust to a speed that I am comfortable with. set the software to replay and just practice over and over adjust the speed up gradually over a few days .

2 Likes

thanks I’ll work on those.

2 Likes

Is it very important to learn all levels?

1 Like

It’s not “necessary”.
It’s good to try to see what you might pick up or be able to use though.

2 Likes

It’s good to watch my process of how I arrive at each level, but not necessary as @Fiddle_wood says. These build-a-break lessons are really more about you learning how I take a basic melody to an intermediate or advanced solo, more so than actually learning the solos (though that is a benefit!).

4 Likes

I was wondering if there is a duet part to this. My brother plays the guitar, my sister plays the mandolin, and I play the banjo. We all play for worship team at church and this one would be a wonderful one to play!

2 Likes

Hi @kaelynspin Joe welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

If you look just below the video you’ll see links to the Guitar & Mandolin lessons. Also if you download the Banjo TEF you’ll find it also has a rhythm guitar TAB included.

Is the MP3 jam track available for all 3 parts together? I’ve been working on this song for some time and would like to play it as presented in the demo.

Check this out. It’s not the exact solos but all 3 instruments playing from their POV:

Guitar: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/guitar-pov-pickalong-unclouded-day-guitar-intermediate
Mando: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/mandolin-pov-pickalong-unclouded-day-mandolin-intermediate
Banjo: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-pov-pickalong-unclouded-day-banjo-intermediate