Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Turkey In The Straw

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/turkey-in-the-straw-banjo

This is a perfect blend of Scruggs-style and melodics, tied up neatly in a tune we all know and love! Like most fiddle tunes, this one has two A parts and two B parts, so there’s lots of creative freedom in building your own breaks from the parts I offer. Enjoy this one, and don’t forget the gravy!

how do i print the tab ??

1 Like

You can download the PDF, but you would need access to a printer to print it out on paper.
scroll down the page
the link is under
“Lesson Resources”
“Tabs”
on the right side

If you’re going to view the tab on an electronic device yo might want to look into using the TEF tabs…they have more options and many here on the site like them a lot.

2 Likes

This is my first advanced lesson attempt. So far so good, its fun going up and down the neck but I’m pretty slow. I play it on my guitar also, I think that helps cuz I have the time and sound in my brain already. I’ll post a video of it here soon, at least the a part

2 Likes

My advice FWIO is to take it real slow. When you have learned the tune and can play it on autopilot listening to the TAB on TefView that is the time to add speed.

Thanks Archie, I am finding that on certain measures I will play them over and over and over till they’re smooth and I’m not thinking about them. I think it helps me be smoother and in time. But mostly I think relaxed practice for several hours a day at least has helped alot too.

1 Like

Hi Ed, Turkey in the Straw is one of those tunes that are imbedded in your brain from an early age if like me you watched a lot of Cowboy Movies and TV series like Wagon Train where it was bound to feature. This lesson being an advanced arrangement means there are a lot of tricky sections which are likely to trip you up if you go too fast too soon. You seem to have a good handle on it at least when you practice repeat sections. What I often do is add a measure before and after the section so I end up expanding the practice section. If you follow.

2 Likes

I am also trying when ever I have a particularly challenging measure that I play it over and over and then when the timing is becoming smooth I add on the two eighth notes occupying the four count of the previous measure then add in the third count then backwards the whole measure. For example measure 20 is tricky so I practice it starting at the slide,get it smooth then work slowly backwards to add measure 19 maybe 18, then try the whole song from the beginning till I mess up or something like this. Do you have any practice tricks like this?

1 Like

This is precisely how I learn hard stuff and I’ll be demonstrating this in a lesson soon.

2 Likes