Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: There is a Fountain

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/there-is-a-fountain-banjo-advanced

This is banjo master Jim Britton’s arrangement of a classic hymn that works just PERFECTLY in C tuning! Let’s get those 4th strings down a notch and head up the neck on this challenging piece!

9 Likes

Thank you so much @BanjoBen for this, I didn’t quite expect a full lesson, you are the best. I pretty much have it down pat save for the big bend lick. I just couldn’t get the timing right from the TAB you posted along with Jim’s video. I 'll get to work on this tomorrow. Maybe I’ll have it nailed by the weekend.

5 Likes

Don’t usually tread the banjo threads but the song pulled me in… Looking forward to the release of guitar version! :wink:

4 Likes

The Black Mountain Rag quote in the guitar solo is so cool! :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks! I figured you’d catch that!

3 Likes

Thanks Ben. I’ve been waiting for this one.

3 Likes

I just LOVE the down the neck sound of the drop C. FABOLOUS.

5 Likes

On the up the neck version measure 8 & 9 in the transition from C to G I found that if go from a C cord at the 10th fret and quickly go to a modified G cord with my ring finger on fret 9 I can play the notes more clearly.

3 Likes

Hi @BanjoBen I think I’ve got it, Been working on that bend for several days and I managed to play through the tune about a dozen times tonight with a few minor mistakes (not in the bend measures) Things are beginning to flow nicely, going to try increasing the speed a little tomorrow. Although I do quite like playing this one slow because I can really emphasize the hammer-ons and it’s great to hear that mountain music sound.

5 Likes

This one sounds great no matter the tempo! I think it’s great played slower!

3 Likes

Having a blast with this one! Thank you for the slower tempo! My old brain tends to slow things down. This is a great short video about the author.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R0uGJ83tZ8

2 Likes

I saw this song and listened to it and loved it. I’m a slight intermediate player but I practiced this song every day for about half an hour each day for about 3 to 4 weeks. I’m not used to playing In C like this nor Drop C. I got to the point finally where I can play it with minimal mistakes. Where I get flustered is remaining in that timing with the metronome. I would like to play it in front of my church but a little cautious due to my timing issue. Any reccomendations?

1 Like

Be patient and work on it for a bit longer until it’s where you want it and you’re comfortable with it.
Don’t be in a rush to play something for others that you’re not happy or comfortable with yourself yet.

-just my take on it…

4 Likes

You’re right about working to get comfortable. I started learning this as soon as it was released and only a few days ago played it with my guitar band member. I love this lesson and the song.

1 Like

I find practicing with the TEF file helps me

1. Memorise
  2. Play along by ear i.e not reading the TAB whilst playing
  3. Help with timing / speed

The key is listening

I also concur with what @Dave_Long said

2 Likes

First of all, congrats on working hard on this and seeing it through…what an accomplishment! And I think I can tell you’re having fun :slight_smile:

The best thing you can do is first watch this video, then take a video of yourself playing it and post it here:

4 Likes

Thankyou for this youtube video. I think I am seeming to get it playing it at slower BPM. But of course I keep trying to play with the lesson preview at the faster speed. Thats when I get flustered and lose it. Great idea to upload a video. Thankyou!

3 Likes

So yesterday and today I got back to revisiting this lesson. ( Just love playing in drop C ) The bend lick at measure 44-45 continues to be a challenge. That said I tried dropping the thumb to pick the B string at the start of the F lick rather than picking it with the Index and I felt I had more control. Still need to work on it though.

2 Likes