Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: The G Lick

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/the-g-lick-banjo

Prepare to learn the most important banjo lick in the universe.

1 Like

I have a question: The G lick shows in the video are composed by 11 different types of playing. Every single one can be played alone or all together? Many thanks.

2 Likes

Hi @santvill welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum.

In this lesson Ben is teaching variations on the G Lick, Whist it is possible to string these licks one after another to practice you wouldn’t really do this in a band or jam situation. The G Lick is often used as a signal to other band members that a break is drawing to a close to help prepare the next band member or vocalist to carry the tune forward. It is often used to signal a tune is drawing to an end. A good way to identify a G lick is to listen to Earl Scruggs playing, Listen for the G Lick as he ends his break and passes the tune to other band members.

2 Likes

ROGER. Many thanks for the answer.
Stgo.

1 Like

Is this THE G-Lick, or a variation on one? I saw another G-Lick that was completely different? I guess I’m confused as I thought there was just one lick called the “G-Lick”. I guess any lick in the key of G could be called one, so maybe that is my confusion.

There are lots of licks to play in G, but looks like this lesson is on THE G-Lick. The Holy Grail of banjo licks.

1 Like

Okay thanks… I’m having somewhat of a challenge in the 4th variation going from the open 3rd string with the index, to fretting the 2nd fret of the 4th string and hitting that with the thumb. I have to somehow get my fingers to move immediately after that hammer on to that 4th string I believe otherwise I have a delay and the timing then is all off.

try isolating just that part and repeat it very slowly until it sounds correct and is comfortable to play, then add speed in small increments.

2 Likes

Thanks Fiddle… I should know that and I forget it all the time. I can do it nice and slow, it’s just I have to convince myself that I don’t have to do it at Earl speeds just yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes