Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: The Entertainer

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/the-entertainer-banjo

This was one of the first tunes I learned on piano as a kid and I’ve loved it since. I have to say it makes a pretty cool bluegrass tune! This one is full of tricks: melodics, inside rolls, and single string pickin’ all in one! Enjoy, cause it’s a lot of fun to pick!

2 Likes

Love this rendition! I transcribed your left hand fingering to the music before settling down to learning the song. And I love grabbing the 5th string on 9 in measure 27. That is fun.

The TEF files are very helpful for timing on tricky measures (like 13 and 14). Thanks for including them.

This is expanding my banjo for sure. When I get this down I’ll learn the guitar part.

3 Likes

I know this is an old lesson, but I was just listening to the arrangement in the car again this morning. I had to come comment on it. This is just an incredible piece. It’s the best pianoless version of this song I’ve ever heard. I can’t even imagine how much time you must have put in to creating this. All of those moving parts… wow!

These lessons didn’t get nearly enough recognition.

9 Likes

Awww man, thanks for that. That really means a whole lot to me. Thank you, friend.

5 Likes

Echo the Mark_Rocka above, I come back to this one every couple years when I get bored of traditional bluegrass… It’s so foreign to me I know I should study it… Ben you should publish this one on Spotify as is… I’m sure it would get tens of listens. Lol.

1 Like

Hi Ben
Had an absolute blast learning this piece and really wanted to reach out and say thank you .

Living in New Zealand, there aren’t a heap of banjo teachers available so I’ve done quite a few online lessons since picking up the banjo 3 years ago. It’s rare to see the full set of tabs that you have here, especially some back up options. Learning this piece has really helped me develop my playing and I can’t thank you enough.

thanks again

Del

4 Likes

Hi @del.stevens Del welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Ben has a lot of great lessons here on the website several that will challenge your brain as well as your fingers. The sense of achievement can be overwhelming as you reach each new goal. If you feel up to it you might care to share a video in the Video Swap area. Ben enjoys watching students progress and will often create a mini lesson and offer up advice in response when he has time to do so. At this time he is in the middle of Cabin Camp season so he is not checking the Forum as often. Rest assured though he will respond especially to a Kiwi. :new_zealand:

1 Like

@del.stevens That is great to hear, Del! I’m honored to have you on board!