Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Silent Night

I had the same impressions. It helped me with the metronome to set it to 3 beats with triplets (so that it sounds like 9/8). Once I got it, I really liked it.

1 Like

So, hereā€™s a quick video I took. I messed up the timing somewhere around measure 28-33. With most songs, if I mess up, I can come back in but with this one, it seems like if I miss one beat itā€™s done for. Also, it just doesnā€™t sound like Silent Night at this tempo. It seems when Ben does it the measures starting around measure 4-6 are faster than the rest. Anyway, enjoy your turkey today, and Iā€™ll keep practicing the peeench.

2 Likes

Hi Keith. That was great playing along with the metronome. If you donā€™t mind Iā€™d like to make a suggestion, Try practicing with the TEF file (TablEdit or TEFView) or Mp3 Files. I think youā€™ll find you get a better FEEL for the tempo, also try speeding up the triplets, at times I felt you were playing the triplet in time with the clicks.

I recoded my version 5 years ago using the TEF file for backing.

6 Likes

Nice and clean Keith! There are a few bonus beats in there and as Archie said, the TEF (or MP3) would greatly help with the phrasing.

5 Likes

Itā€™s easier to show than explain what I was talking about on the metronome so I made a quick video. Having the triplets going helped me to get the timing into my head. Also, playing this one slower is actually tougher than playing it faster (to a point of course). When I was learning the song, I played with Benā€™s slow playing and from there went to the metronome with 9/8, but as Archie suggested, the TEF may be even better. Good luck with it, thereā€™s still plenty of time to get it down before Christmas!

9 Likes

@ambergkeith, I forgot until I came back to look at this todayā€¦ the ā€œa little bit fasterā€ video that Ben did was what I played with quite a bit. It was fast enough that it sounded right, but slow enough that I could play along while getting it committed to memory.

3 Likes

Archie, Thanks. Iā€™m using the TEF and itā€™s definitely helping me get the timing down. Regarding the triplets, Iā€™m a bit confused. Using the TEF, it seems as if everything is in just 3/4 time. Playing triplets is basically cramming 3 notes in where thereā€™s only two beats, correct?

2 Likes

Hi Keith Glad to hear you are making use of the TEF files, As regards the Triplets yes essentially your cramming notes into a shorter duration. The problem with using a metronome whist playing triplets is there is a tendency to match your notes to the clicks and as a result loose the timing as you practice. The TEF file gives you a sense of the melody and in this particular tune a feel for the phrasing and dynamics of the tune. As it rises and falls. Listen to Ben play through the tune hear the melody rise and fall

1 Like

Hey, @Mike_R Mike and @Archie Archie. Thanks for the tips.After spending time with the TEF FILE this week on breaks at work I got the timing down.

Sorry, canā€™t figure out the dropbox thing. Iā€™ll try again later.

Great Job Keith, Timing is much much better.

Keith if you donā€™t already have one, create a YouTube channel, Upload your video to YT then copy and paste the link right here on the page. Easiest way to share your videoā€™s

2 Likes

Mike, thatā€™s great for quick video with the bell sounding ending! Youā€™ve become a decent banjo player in short time it seems!!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words John! I am still a beginner on banjo, but am excited to be able to play a few carols on it this year.

2 Likes

I have one, I just have some other stuff on it so didnā€™t want to fill it with just practice videos. Maybe Iā€™ll create a separate one.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. fixed

OK, did it. Not much different than the one I did earlier. Still sounds a bit choppy.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s some great progress! Very nice!

2 Likes

Thanks Mike. :smile:

That was EXELLENT Keith. A wee stumble at 016 - 017 not sure if youā€™re suppose to pinch with two fingers there or your not picking it squarely on the string. I heard that in your other video a momentarily lapse in concentration perhaps? Other than that it sounded great.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the measure with the d shape, right? Yeah. I think I didnā€™t make a good shape on that one and I hit it kind of dead.

1 Like

Hi Keith, it doesnā€™t sound dead it sounds like you almost missed the string with your picking hand. Listen back through the video and watch the time stamp and that should help you see/hear the wee stumble. Maybe your focus was on the fretting hand, Itā€™s nothing major or cause for concern.santa-dance

1 Like