Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Silent Night

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/silent-night-banjo

This is a basic to intermediate version of a Christmas classic in the key of G. We play the basic melody, and use the chord positions to add harmonies!

2 Likes

This is such a beautiful arrangement of my (second) favorite Christmas song. I am determined to learn it by December 25th of THIS year!! The timing is really tricky!!!

2 Likes

Thank you Ben, What a lovley arrangement of my favorate xmas song.
I am finding difficulty with the double 5 chime at the end, The 12th string is mok but cant get any chime from the 5 ?? Anyone have some advice ???
thanks

rod

3 Likes

5th fret harmonics are really tough. They require the most precise touch of all the harmonics.

1 - make sure your finger is directly over the fret.

2 - as soon as you pick the string, pull your left hand finger off the string.

I will say that some banjos make 5th string harmonics easier than others. I’ve played on some cheaper banjos that were almost impossible to get a ring out of the 5th fret.

2 Likes

Great advice by @Mark_Rocka!

1 Like

My first Christmas banjo push is underway. I did “What child is this” and now have started into “Silent night”. Ben, thanks for doing the “slow” and “a little faster.” I can usually just read the tab pretty well while learning a song, but I was having a difficult time with this one. I’d lose count of how many times I had done a pinch/thumb repeat, and counting in three is too fast for my brain. SO… the “a little faster” version is proving very useful. Thanks for anticipating that!

2 Likes

Wow, the timing is so difficult on this one. I’m pretty familiar with 3/4 time but this one jumps around so much and feels so choppy at slow speeds and doesn’t really sound like the melody when I slow it down enough to actually get the timing right. I’ve spent a couple hours with a metronome on this and finding it quite difficult.

I had the same impressions. It helped me with the metronome to set it to 3 beats with triplets (so that it sounds like 9/8). Once I got it, I really liked it.

1 Like

So, here’s a quick video I took. I messed up the timing somewhere around measure 28-33. With most songs, if I mess up, I can come back in but with this one, it seems like if I miss one beat it’s done for. Also, it just doesn’t sound like Silent Night at this tempo. It seems when Ben does it the measures starting around measure 4-6 are faster than the rest. Anyway, enjoy your turkey today, and I’ll keep practicing the peeench.

2 Likes

Hi Keith. That was great playing along with the metronome. If you don’t mind I’d like to make a suggestion, Try practicing with the TEF file (TablEdit or TEFView) or Mp3 Files. I think you’ll find you get a better FEEL for the tempo, also try speeding up the triplets, at times I felt you were playing the triplet in time with the clicks.

I recoded my version 5 years ago using the TEF file for backing.

6 Likes

Nice and clean Keith! There are a few bonus beats in there and as Archie said, the TEF (or MP3) would greatly help with the phrasing.

5 Likes

It’s easier to show than explain what I was talking about on the metronome so I made a quick video. Having the triplets going helped me to get the timing into my head. Also, playing this one slower is actually tougher than playing it faster (to a point of course). When I was learning the song, I played with Ben’s slow playing and from there went to the metronome with 9/8, but as Archie suggested, the TEF may be even better. Good luck with it, there’s still plenty of time to get it down before Christmas!

9 Likes

@ambergkeith, I forgot until I came back to look at this today… the “a little bit faster” video that Ben did was what I played with quite a bit. It was fast enough that it sounded right, but slow enough that I could play along while getting it committed to memory.

3 Likes

Archie, Thanks. I’m using the TEF and it’s definitely helping me get the timing down. Regarding the triplets, I’m a bit confused. Using the TEF, it seems as if everything is in just 3/4 time. Playing triplets is basically cramming 3 notes in where there’s only two beats, correct?

2 Likes

Hi Keith Glad to hear you are making use of the TEF files, As regards the Triplets yes essentially your cramming notes into a shorter duration. The problem with using a metronome whist playing triplets is there is a tendency to match your notes to the clicks and as a result loose the timing as you practice. The TEF file gives you a sense of the melody and in this particular tune a feel for the phrasing and dynamics of the tune. As it rises and falls. Listen to Ben play through the tune hear the melody rise and fall

1 Like

Hey, @Mike_R Mike and @Archie Archie. Thanks for the tips.After spending time with the TEF FILE this week on breaks at work I got the timing down.

Sorry, can’t figure out the dropbox thing. I’ll try again later.

Great Job Keith, Timing is much much better.

Keith if you don’t already have one, create a YouTube channel, Upload your video to YT then copy and paste the link right here on the page. Easiest way to share your video’s

2 Likes

Mike, that’s great for quick video with the bell sounding ending! You’ve become a decent banjo player in short time it seems!!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words John! I am still a beginner on banjo, but am excited to be able to play a few carols on it this year.

2 Likes

I have one, I just have some other stuff on it so didn’t want to fill it with just practice videos. Maybe I’ll create a separate one.

1 Like