Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Sharing Licks

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/sharing-licks-banjo-advanced

It’s time to take the banjo blinders off and see what else is out there! Here are 5 HOT geetar licks that work well for banjo, but more than that, they allow us to see our fretboard in a new light!

7 Likes

Wow @BanjoBen that sounds really cool two instruments played in unison

3 Likes

Oh my! This sounds like it’s gonna be a good one… as my inner voice cries out “No Mark! You’re supposed to be working on mandolin for camp!”

Shut up, inner voice.

6 Likes

Here’s a wee challenge for you @BanjoBen mimic this on the banjo :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Oh yeah, this is hot :hot_pepper::hot_face::hotsprings:

3 Likes

Nice!! This reminds me of something Jake Workman would do on the banjo.

4 Likes

Cool!

2 Likes

I get the concept, but the first lick I attempted ended up with me getting stuck on single string. Even when I tried up the neck, it just didn’t seem smooth. I typically steer away from single string because I struggle to get it smooth. Any ideas of how y’all would attempt this one?

4 Likes

What you’ve done is really cool, @Bcaves. You’ve found a couple different ways to get the same lick/notes in two places. I think your first video is really smooth. A couple things about the single string. First, I’m not an expert by any means and I don’t practice it enough. But the more I have practiced it, I’ve noticed that it gets smoother…definitely a time thing. But, I think there’s a unique “rough” sound in single string playing that is desired. This lick of yours can be used in any tempo of song. If I was playing faster I’d be tempted to take the melodic approach, but if you were playing a song like this, I would use that single string version and be all kinds of proud of that “roughness” https://youtu.be/4kMeQ4c4Q6Y

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the encouragement, it really means a lot. When trying to figure out songs and licks myself, I somehow think I’m not doing it correctly. Things sometimes seem more difficult than I think they need to be.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll ask and reveal my ignorance… what is meant by playing “single string” or melodic or whatever the other types are called?
Thanks!!

1 Like

Single string is treating the banjo like a guitar regarding your left hand, and using fingerpicks on your right hand instead of a flatpick. Melodic: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/introduction-to-melodic-banjo-banjo

2 Likes

Love these licks! This entire site is like drinking through a fire-hose. I’ve going to have to quit my day job to absorb it all. A big THANKS from west of the Mississipi!

2 Likes

Well, this is not Banjo Ben doing, it, but this guy does a pretty good job with the song given the range of the Banjo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fPYUH4cKCI To truly mimic it, It would take a much longer fretboard on a banjo and probably about five guys to fret it, and one guy to pick it. :laughing: But this is a very cool lesson on mimicking another instrument on Banjo. Do I hear Dueling Banjos Part Deuce in Banjo Ben’s future? :thinking:

1 Like

Hi James, Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Thanks for the link. Jay Buckley is a great banjo player thanks for sharing. My challenge for Ben was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I have been a Life Member for about seven years now so he is used to my quirky feedback.

It’s unlikely that you’ll hear Ben teach/play Duelin Banjo#s on the website due to copyright.

Ha, awesome!

1 Like

Great lesson Ben. Basically these are all variants of licks out the blues scale? Rob Block uses these types of licks , I have seen them in some of your advanced stuff too among other places. It would be very helpful to hear them applied in a simple song to get a feel of how to integrate them. I seem to always have trouble getting them into the right place initially. I have learned lots of lick only to lose them because they don’t have a home. Once I get a handle on them I can move them around and try variants in different songs. Thanks JH

1 Like

Great suggestion! Perhaps folks on the forum can take on a challenge of working some of these licks into some tunes/solo

2 Likes

Welcome @James_C !! Glad to have you!!

1 Like

Yeah!!! Ear training!!! Thank you so much @BanjoBen for creating a lesson that encourages us to use our most powerful music learning tools - our ears.