Discuss the Banjo lesson: Shady Grove- Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/shady-grove-build-a-break-banjo

This version is in D minor, & most of the Shady Grove versions I’ve heard are in clawhammer style, so I figured we needed a good 3-finger style to play at jams. This tab begins with the basic melody, but then we add slides, hammers, and licks to create a robust solo!

I love anything minor on the banjo. This tune is wicked cool. I shall work on this one…

Love it too Danny, but it seems so short, just getting into the fancy stuff and it over. Something shady going on I guess.

I could let it all out but I don’t want anybody getting hurt.

This is a tune I tried to learn ten years ago from a DVD by another teacher who’s name I can’t remember. The haunting melody drove me crazy and I soon gave up on it.

Danny’s post earlier in the week inspired me to listen to it and I couldn’t get it out my head. Weird. Anyway I decided to give it a try this morning and I am finding it a fun lesson. I don’t think I play any tunes in a Minor Key but @BanjoBen 's arrangement sounds great and it’s a lot easier than the other version I tried. Still got to learn the last section.

What an awesome tune.

yes it is. very haunting and I love the D minor simple tuning Ben presents.