Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Shady Grove- Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/shady-grove-build-a-break-banjo

This version is in D minor, & most of the Shady Grove versions I’ve heard are in clawhammer style, so I figured we needed a good 3-finger style to play at jams. This tab begins with the basic melody, but then we add slides, hammers, and licks to create a robust solo!

1 Like

I love anything minor on the banjo. This tune is wicked cool. I shall work on this one…

2 Likes

Love it too Danny, but it seems so short, just getting into the fancy stuff and it over. Something shady going on I guess.

1 Like

I could let it all out but I don’t want anybody getting hurt.

3 Likes

This is a tune I tried to learn ten years ago from a DVD by another teacher who’s name I can’t remember. The haunting melody drove me crazy and I soon gave up on it.

Danny’s post earlier in the week inspired me to listen to it and I couldn’t get it out my head. Weird. Anyway I decided to give it a try this morning and I am finding it a fun lesson. I don’t think I play any tunes in a Minor Key but @BanjoBen 's arrangement sounds great and it’s a lot easier than the other version I tried. Still got to learn the last section.

2 Likes

What an awesome tune.

2 Likes

yes it is. very haunting and I love the D minor simple tuning Ben presents.

2 Likes

How does this arrangement relate to Ricky Scaggs version?

RSKT does the other (major) version in B. No real relation at all besides the meter of the song (kind of).

I see, do you know how scaggs has the banjo play so fast, how is that even done?

Practice :wink:

No kidding, that was all I knew as bluegrass so everything I saw here seemed so slow then I started playing… then everything became impressive.

I tried hard to see a “standard” chord pattern trend with minor key tunes similar to to major key tunes; for example, in a major key a V to I movement, I IV V I, ii to V, etc. I looked around on different threads here and didn’t really see it. I get B minor is D Major with the same notes and chords but beginning on B instead of D. It’s not a big deal unless I’m trying to follow along on minor key fiddle tunes I don’t know. I have better luck with major key tunes I’m not familiar with because I kind of know how the key works. Is there a similar rule of thumb for minor keys you guys have found? I really enjoy these fiddle tunes a lot. Don’t post a lot but love the forum here.
Tony

1 Like

All minor chords contain the same intervals, but many chord progressions are unique. I would say a “standard” chord progression for minor tunes might be something like 1- 4- 57, and sometimes resolving to the relative major (like Wayfaring Stranger, What Child is This, or Jerusalem Ridge).

Great arrangement; thank you! When playing back up should I just play the Dmin and C? Or should I also play the F and Amin7? Guess I thought this was a 2-chord song but could be wrong. Thanks again.

1 Like

Typically, it would depend on if you are rolling or vamping. When rolling, you can probably get away with playing just the Dmin and C chords (or even just partial D and C chords), but if you are vamping chords, it is best to play the F and Amin as well.

1 Like

I can’t wait until I get good enough to play this tune. Love this Doc
Watson tune for years now…Maybe I won’t wait. I’ll just give it a go even though I’m a beginner (shiny and new)

2 Likes

Hi Jack welcome to @BanjoBen’s Forum. Yes it’s a fun tune to learn, not too difficult once you know how to play slides, hammers and pull-offs