Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Red Haired Boy- Melodic

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/red-haired-boy-melodic-banjo

Check out this straight-ahead melodic version of Red Haired Boy, a classic fiddle tune! I’ve also included another tab that is in single-string style, but plays the EXACT same notes as the melodic. This way you can print both out and see how they compare.

1 Like

anigif_enhanced-buzz-31942-1375304463-19

Thanks for the chuckles… Measures 18-19. Gosh!

1 Like

Well it’s only taken me 5 years to take on this challenge and by the looks of things few others have ventured here. So my query @BanjoBen relates to measure 7, and the 3 quarter notes. which to my ear do not sound right. The notes sound dissonant and the melody just seems to die momentarily. Can you suggest another way to express this measure in order to maintain the melodic flow of the melody.

1 Like

HI Ben,

I have been spending so much time on your mandolin lessons that I got away from my first love, BANJO. I never knew this song could be done on banjo, plus Melodic style. I am going to work on this and get it under my fingers.

Thanks for doing this!!

DLS

2 Likes

You could make an F shape and roll through that after you hit that first 3rd fret?

2 Likes

Thank you @BanjoBen it’s starting to come together/ sound better as I build speed.

1 Like

I have been playing this song for years, and never got it right. thanks for the heads up

1 Like

The song at 1:10 my dad used to sing as “No they don’t wear pants at the hoochie coochie dance”