Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Pro Picker Case Study: Banjo with Tony Wray

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pro-picker-case-study-banjo-with-tony-wray-banjo-advanced

Pro Picker Case Studies let us take a tour through the musical minds of some of my pickin’ heroes! I want to know what makes them tick, what makes them choose that note, and the theory behind the tasty things they create. Tony Wray is a picker’s picker–he’s played with all the big stars and is now creative director for Pinecastle Records. To me, it doesn’t get any better than Tony. Don’t forget to download the tab to a song he wrote exclusively for my site titled “Ben’s Jig”, and check out the guitar portion of the case study as well!

9 Likes

Yes!!! Can’t wait to delve into these courses! I benefited so much from those Utility Wrolls and guitar Wrythm last time; these lessons look great!

4 Likes

I haven’t even watched the preview yet but I’m so excited to see Tony Wray!

3 Likes

Great insight Guy’s. thank_you

2 Likes

Banjo Ben, Will there be Tab for some of the things Tony Wray did in the video’s that just came out

1 Like

Wonderful series, Ben! Thanks for making it happen… I learned so much about how musicians work together!
I found it helpful that you picked very familiar tunes to demo things-- and the jig? Absolutely the sweetest!

2 Likes

@banjomueller
Probably not because so much is covered in other lessons we’ve done with him. These Case Studies are more of a seminar type lesson. Go to the banjo lesson page and search Wray and check out what else he’s taught, thanks!

1 Like

OK, I’m loving it, especially Tony’s emphasis on listening. It’s an area I understand completely but have a stupidly hard time doing it.
I’m beginning to suspect I’m worrying too much about playing rather than listening. Perhaps if I should try listening more and just let the playing happen by itself. Sometimes it does!

5 Likes

Great advice on playing with other instruments. Thank you.

2 Likes

Now that was just plain Good, real, real, Good. Thanks Ben, and thanks Tony.

3 Likes

That was a great lesson, very wise and practical insight

1 Like

What I love most about Tony’s playing is the way he makes mundane rolls fresh and exciting with the simplest things. On the Dynamics and Groove video, at 3:28, he does a simple banjo G lick but immediately follows it with a low D note that was completely unexpected in the exact place he put it. I was expecting to hear it 2 or 3 notes later, so it really caught my attention.

He makes me look at playing from a new perspective.

5 Likes

Yeah @Mark_Rocka, he’ll also pick that 4th string with his index in a heartbeat, like he does in 3:39 of that video.

4 Likes

@Mark_Rocka tabbed out Tony’s backup/lead for “Will the Circle” and it’s awesome, just added it to the tab resources on this lesson.

3 Likes

Tony - a spontaneous act of prodigality

2 Likes

So kinda mind blown a little bit. For the short time I have been playing by myself and in jams and trying to learn new stuff. I thought I should be playing up the neck and throwing out super cool up the neck riffs and wasting time on that and then I heard Tony say he very rarely plays rolling backup up the neck. I knew I could roll down the neck but after hearing him say that, I got some confidence. So gonna shift my learning a bit. This may be while I struggle the most at jams when Its my turn to choose the song and when I go to sing, I switch to vamp mode. I want to roll but thinking too much about it maybe. Thankyou for this video.

Yes, easy to do!

There are tons of great players that do the same. Be you!