Discuss the Banjo lesson: Pickin' Your Banjo Picks

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pickin-your-banjo-picks-banjo

Picks are important, so this is a must-see lesson to help you be a better picker!

Hi there! Everyone seems to say to use a plastic thumb pick. Is there a reason for that? I bought a set of picks which included a metal thumb pick. Just wondering if I need to get a plastic one or not. Loving the site by the way!

Hi Malcolm, Just from personal experience I found metal thumb picks a little too ridged and bright sounding. Never really found it comfortable to wear. I did a lot of experimenting before settling with a clear plastic pick. Everyone is different I am sure you will get lot’s of differing views here.

It’s mostly personal preference. I never cared for all metal thumb picks, but some people swear by them.

In the end, you want something comfortable to wear for hours and that gives you the right tone.

Great question…I think it’s mainly tone preference. People use metal because it can fit better and not get loose when you’re playing for long periods of time. That’s one reason BlueChip picks are so popular…it has a metal band but the pick part is a synthetic tortoise.