Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Over in the Glory Land- Build-a-Break

In all honesty @BanjoBen I didn’t put them up to this lol

3 Likes

hahahaha!

2 Likes

Hey Ben, just wanted to say thanks for including the words in the tab for this song. I find that very helpful and would enjoy seeing that more often when possible. Thanks!

3 Likes

This is the first lesson that I have purchased.Does anyone know if there is a way to filter or view only tracks that i have purchased? Thanks much. I love this series. I can work on my understanding of melody and see directly how more advanced licks work alongside basic ideas. I think that is one of the most enjoyable things about banjo :smile:

Sorry, not sure where to ask this question.
I don’t have the capo nails for the top string. Can I just play this in the Key of G. I’m assuming the fingering on the tab will work?
Looking forward to tackling this piece. Will stretch my capabilities.

Playing in G should work fine. Capo is only if you want to match other musicians preference.

Hi Steve @sjpetersen46 welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. In this lesson you are not playing up the neck so you can tune your 5th string to A and capo the second fret. Don’t attempt to tune any higher than A or your likely snap the 5th string especially if your using light gauge strings…

1 Like

Hi Ben. I just wanted to say that I answered my own question above - Where do i see my purchased lessons…Under My Account. I leaned that from the great job you did with the help. Very useful and well-put-together.
I am really having fun with Over in the Glory Land. I’m so glad that you are emphasizing mixing up simple melodies, quarter notes,(especially) as well as more “fancy” stuff. Much thanks!!!

1 Like

Ok, the banjo backup tab is up at the guitar topic here

3 Likes

Ok, y’all! I posted the backup under the tab section on this lesson. It’s an updated version and should be really close, thanks! And thanks to @Dragonslayer for working on this!

6 Likes

My hat is off to you and Dragonslayer — the backup tab and TEF is a great help. For me it is sometimes hard to sync in the licks I hear people play and get it right. Ben – wonder if it would be too much work to do this more-- like just have the backup you play as a seperate sound track so we can get ideas on where to throw in the “good licks”. Thanks again — Merry Christmas

4 Likes

You sound just like @Archie! Hahaha! Yes, good suggestion. Honestly it is a lot of work but I’m about to be able to outsource more hours and things like this will be possible (@Dragonslayer wink wink)

6 Likes

Hi Joe, Let me just say that’s not a bad thing. We have ALL benefitted from my constant nagging to @BanjoBen about teaching meaningful backup . Some of the best lessons on this site have come about because I pointed out a need. No one was teaching banjo backup 8 - 10 years ago, Well that’s not quite true there were a few lessons on vamping and some rolls over chords but nothing you could call meaningful backup and most of that was buried in a boring book of TABs. At my suggestion Ben has pulled out all the stops and has produced some fantastic backup lessons. Checkout the Boogie Woogie Backup 1 & 2, Teardrop Backup, Also the lessons with Alan Mundie & Tony Wray.

I agree with you Joe, I’d like to see Ben do more banjo backup particularly when he plays it behind a Guitar or Mandolin Solo. I appreciate the extra work involved but If we had at the very least an isolated recording of the banjo backup that would be a big help because it would allow us to hear and identify the rolls, licks, phrases but more importantly the structure of how the backup is arranged.

The thing is if your a beginner / intermediate level student how can you hope grow your knowledge if you don’t know how this stuff is created.

I’d also really like to see Katy Lou do a few lessons on rolling backup whist singing. But that’s a topic for another day.

I am currently working on a backup lesson with Ned Luberecki on TrueFire and it has been interesting to see how he goes about arranging backup and applying that to what I already know. Quite a few Aa-hah moments .

Just you keep up the pressure Joe. There’s always room for more lessons on banjo backup since most of what a banjo player does is play backup. hat_wave

4 Likes

Precisely

3 Likes

I purchased a Strum Hollow, 5th string capo in lieu of the spikes and I really like it. You can find it on the store website and it’s on sale. (My favorite two words): https://store.banjobenclark.com/collections/capos/products/strum-hollow-5th-string-capo

And that’s what makes you the best teacher because you listen to our feedback and provide solutions to our problems. Unlike some other “teachers” who just take the money and ignore requests for help.

2 Likes

Hi Archie, I couldn’t agree more with everything you said. When I was doing the guitar lesson on this song I heard the backup banjo—- but it was hard to separate it out and hear it cleanly, thus my request to Ben to somehow isolate it —- he then took it that extra step and tabbed it out for us. This is what makes his lessons so good. As I listen to songs—- I can hear the “fancy licks etc” but DOING THEM PROPERLY is a challenge.

I see in your picture you are playing a Stelling. In the last year I acquired a 1980 Bellflower —- sent it to the factory and it came back as if it were brand new. I do love it.

Ben, THANK YOU. —-for all you do for us.

3 Likes

I’m looking for the lesson/sound file for the back up. Is it the back-up banjo I hear faintly on the guitar lesson?
Is there a clear version I can watch/listen to?
Thanks

3 Likes

There’s banjo backup on the 220 BPM backing track; is that what you’re looking for? If it’s not clear enough, let me know and I’ll see if I can help you out. (You can also download the backup audio file and slow it down with Amazing Slowdowner.)

2 Likes

Well it’s been about a year since @BanjoBen uploaded this lesson to the website and I finally got down to it at the weekend. I really love all the licks in this tune. They are a challenge but so satisfying to nail them. Today I managed to play through the intermediate solo a couple of times without a train wreck.

I have two more lessons to work through in the Intermediate section to complete and achieve a personal mile stone. Which I hope to get to before the end of January and before Ben adds any new lesson.

Pro Picker Case Study - Jim Briton - I have been through this one but I need to revisit.
Whiskey Before Breakfast - D Tuning

3 Likes