Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: On Top of Old Smokey Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/on-top-of-old-smokey-build-a-break-banjo-intermediate

My family was at Disney early 2021 and this song was in the background. Katy Lou said, “You should teach this!” It’s a great lesson song because we address playing banjo in waltz timing, plus throw in a build-a-break approach!

12 Likes

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. @BanjoBen

2 Likes

I started to try this, but then I saw those fancy hand flourishes (2 handed even!) and I knew I wasn’t ready. Some day, maybe. Some day.

Seriously though, good looking lesson!

5 Likes

On top of spaghetti, all covered in cheese, I lost my poor meat-ball, when some-body sneezed, it rolled off of the table, and out of the door, and I saw my poor meat-ball, I saw it no more.

7 Likes

You know there is a lot more to that song @Hillbilly_picker?

4 Likes

I love it! Thanks for the 3/4 tune…this is a classic. :grinning:

5 Likes

8 Likes

Last time I sang it was ten years ago,:laughing:

4 Likes

I debated including those. I’m in a pickle because I don’t want to discourage people doing something seemingly unattainable, but I also want to inspire those who are looking for a lifelong challenge.

6 Likes

You’ll be pleased to hear @BanjoBen I plan on leaving out that part, as you say your not expecting students to play it exactly like you did. That’s just too many embellishments for me. .gif

6 Likes

I don’t know @Archie & @Mike_R , but I may just try practicing the two-handed, fan-flourish move to distract attention away from my inability to play some of the more difficult passages when there are others playing at the same time! :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Like Red River Valley I have always loved this tune it takes me back to when I was a child growing up in the 1950’s I heard them on the wireless and the cowboy films in the cinema They really sound great on the banjo. The past few months have been in the doldrums with my banjo. This tune has really lifted my spirits I am having so much fun playing it today. Thank you @BanjoBen

6 Likes

Thanks that was a fun lesson great for campfire Can we have more like this Awesome

3 Likes