Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Man of Constant Sorrow

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/man-of-constant-sorrow-banjo

Lots of people have a banjo solo for this tune…but do they have a GOOD one?! I wrestled with this break for quite a while and I really like the finished product. It’s not too hard to learn, but it’s tasty enough to hold its own on any stage or jam there is. Get to pickin’!

4 Likes

Is there a tab with lyrics on it for this song? I like to sing along when I can. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Karl

It’s a lot of work to tab out a tune and add lyrics. I can’t say I have ever seen Ben include words.

You might find a tab with lyrics at Tom Arri 's website https://banjotom2.org/
Tom often includes lyrics with his tabs.

Won’t be the same as @BanjoBen 's arrangement

1 Like

He included lyrics on will the circle and life’s railway at least

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t have the words on this one :wink: I do have words for some of them, however.

1 Like

International Lyric Playground is a great internet site for many song lyrics. This particular song is titled “I am a man of constant sorrow” on that site. Also I really like Ben’s tab and arrangement for this tune, especially measures 7 and 8.

3 Likes

Love this arrangement. Bluesy with drive!

3 Likes

I loved this arrangement, here is my take on it, what you guys think? I added a couple of extra licks, sorry for the video quality

Big xxoo from Frank - Brasil

7 Likes

Yeah buddy, I love it! Those are cool licks at the end!

2 Likes

This arrangement sounds awesome!

2 Likes

I love playing this song I just started it but it’s very interesting makes me think of that movie that was a real good movie I also think of another song that you played along time ago dueling banjos will you ever bring it back I think people would love that song

2 Likes

Ben won’t be able to bring back Dueling Banjos or any other copyrighted songs until he gets things squared away with his attorneys and the web site developer. He will have to charge an additional fee for such songs that, in turn, go to the copyright holders.

3 Likes

Been learning Man of Constant Sorrow and it is certainly a challenge but I’m determined! I believe this song is commonly played in the key of “F” but I’m learning it in “G”. My quandry is that how do I use what I’m learning in G to play it in F? If I learn something in G and want to then play it in A or C or even D I can use a capo but what is a good approach to play something learned in G in F? Thanks for any advice. I love Ben’s teaching and his wonderful approach to songs.

3 Likes

Great question! There’s not tons that transfers except the most important thing…the melody. Try learning the melody in D. We’ll worry about getting to F with a capo. Keep me posted on progress.

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing this song back into focus! I am going to start into this arrangement. Looks fun!

2 Likes

You could tune your whole guitar down 2 semi-tones, and play in G shape. You’d then actually be playing in F.

Or, you could capo the 5th fret, and play the song with a C shape as your root chord. C is probably the easiest key to play in when transposing.

Hope that helps.

@BanjoBen This song needs a pick-along lesson with some Tony Wray utility roll banjo backup

2 Likes